Advanced SEARCH  -  Comments  -  Local Directory  -  Sitemap  -  About Us  

 Front Page   -   Local News   -   Local Sport   -   Advertise   -   Contact Us  -  HG News to Your Email

 

News » Fire

Smoker causes fire on Eurostar train passing through Chunnel

Contributed by editor on Oct 26, 2008 - 08:30 AM

A fire in a lavatory on a train passing through the Channel Tunnel 
delayed a Eurostar service for more than four hours after emergency
procedures were put into action.


<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

The incident, caused by a discarded cigarette butt,
occurred on  Friday night as the train, carrying almost 700
passengers from London to Paris, was approaching the French side of the
tunnel.



A spokeswoman said: "Unfortunately, an irresponsible passenger decided
to have a cigarette in one of the toilets in first class and throw away
his or her cigarette butt and created a small fire in one of the bins in
the toilet. That created some smoke while the train was going through
the Channel."



"The crew put out the fire. But as we follow Eurotunnel's regulations,
the train was put on emergency sidings outside the tunnel where the
French side made sure that the train was safe and the fire was
completely out," the spokeswoman added.



The smoker has not yet been identified, but Eurostar is soliciting
passengers who might know the individual to contact the group as "we
would certainly very much like to take legal action" against him or her,
she said.

Smoking is banned on Eurostar trains.




 


Fire destroys four storey home in Dover

Contributed by editor on Oct 05, 2008 - 04:16 PM

One firefighter has been injured fighting a massive blaze in London Road, Dover this morning (5 October).

Six crews including a height vehicle fought the fire which started at around 6.00am. 

The fire destroyed a four storey terraced house and spread to the roofspace of a neighbouring property.

It was believed that the house was unoccupied but breathing apparatus teams searched the building as a precaution.

Nearby homes were evacuated and the road was closed.

The injured firefighter was later discharged from hospital.



Smoke alarm saves family from flat fire

Contributed by editor on Jul 04, 2008 - 12:00 PM

A woman and her five children have escaped a blaze at their
Folkestone flat after being alerted by a smoke alarm.


<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

The family managed to flee their home in Darby Road,
but the property was severely smoke damaged in the incident.



A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the fire could have
been "a far more serious incident" if a smoke alarm had not been fitted.




<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">




Youngsters seen running from Christmas Eve blaze

Contributed by editor on Dec 28, 2007 - 12:36 AM

A Christmas Eve blaze, which caused thousands of pounds of damage to a barn off  Harbour View Road, Dover is being treated as suspicious by police.

Two boys were seen running from the fire which started at midday on Monday (24 December). A Land Rover and tractor were also damaged.

Officers are appealing for help from the public to identify the two boys, who were both white and believed to be aged about 10 or 12.

One had thick brown hair in a "curtains" style and the other was wearing a light grey quilted jacket.


Mother and young daughter die in house blaze tragedy

Contributed by editor on Dec 20, 2007 - 09:01 PM

A mother and her young daughter have died in a blaze which ripped through their Deal home at around 5.30am this morning (20 December).

Friends said that Theresa Dunn and her daughter aged 9, perished in the early morning fire, however it appears that the woman's son escaped the tragedy as he was not staying at the house when the fire broke out according to reports on the Daily Mail website.

More than 20 firefighters quickly managed to put out the blaze on the ground floor of the two-storey home in Quern Road.

A spokeswoman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said that the girl and her mother were found upstairs by firefighters.

It is thought the blaze started in the downstairs front room, but police and fire officers said it was speculation at this stage to suggest an electrical fault was the cause.

A police spokeswoman said: "There is nothing apparently suspicious about the fire, but we cannot say that with 100% certainty, until it has been fully investigated."

Det Insp Steve Bridges said: "Two members of the public travelling home from work this morning noticed smoke coming from the address.

"They made efforts to rouse the occupants unsuccessfully and called the fire brigade."

 


Elderly man dies in house fire tragedy

Contributed by editor on Nov 19, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Two police officers and members of the public tried to rescue a 76-year-old man who was trapped inside a blazing house in College Road, Deal in the early hours of Sunday morning (18 November).

The man’s wife managed to escape to raise the alarm and firefighters from Deal rushed to the scene.

An elderly man was taken from the property but died soon afterwards.

Police Officers and Fire Investigation Officers have carried out an investigation, the results of which are yet to be concluded. However the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

 



« 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »