Advanced SEARCH  -  Comments  -  Local Directory  -  Sitemap  -  About Us  

 Front Page   -   Local News   -   Local Sport   -    Advertise   -   Contact Us  -  HG News to Your Email

 

Firepower Museum at Woolwich Arsenal set to close

Contributed by editor on Jul 03, 2016 - 01:50 PM

By Dana Wiffen

The Royal Arsenal "Firepower" Museum at Woolwich is set to permanently close on the 8th of July 2016.

 


Forthright historian David Starkey to discuss Magna Carta in Folkestone

Contributed by editor on May 19, 2015 - 11:50 AM

The UK’s leading constitutional historian David Starkey comes to Folkestone Quarterhouse Friday 12 June to discuss Magna Carta.



75th anniversary of LT and Greenline RT buses in Kent and Surrey will see preserved vehicles running in London

Contributed by editor on Apr 06, 2014 - 01:55 PM


By Dana Wiffen


To celebrate 75 years of the AEC Regent III, aka RT bus this year, preserved RTs and RT1s will be running in London on the 22 route from Piccadilly Circus on Saturday 12th April.



107 years of teaching at Alkham School near Dover

Contributed by editor on Dec 18, 2013 - 11:45 AM

By the editor of the Alkham Newsletter, Brian Wimsett


The featured building this month is the school at Alkham which opened in 1865 and finally closed in 1972.
 


Hawkinge vintage photos show Canterbury Road and Cemetery

Contributed by editor on Feb 26, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Folkestone reader, Robert Mouland has sent the Hawkinge Gazette two photographs of the village in the early 1900s.


Lord Radnor announces name of new Folkestone's Leas Lift operator

Contributed by editor on Jun 01, 2010 - 12:13 PM

Lord Radnor has announced that a new company has been formed to run the Leas Lift once the building works are completed.


Leas Lift lease decision 'called in' - (Photo) - UPDATED 30 MARCH 2009

Contributed by editor on Mar 28, 2009 - 09:07 AM

Crowds gathered at the Leas Lift yesterday (27 March) to protest at Shepway Council's decision to give up the lease of Folkestone's Historic water lift.



Raising a glass to local pubs of old

Contributed by editor on Mar 20, 2009 - 08:29 PM

A new exhibition is raising a glass to the Pubs of Old Dover – as Dover Museum opens its latest Stairwell Exhibition, featuring a range of photographs and items relating to the pubs and hotels of the town.



Dover - 2,000 Years of Brave History

Contributed by editor on Dec 09, 2008 - 12:00 AM

The English Channel is controlled by Dover in
England and thus called ‘The Lock & Key of England.’


<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

First Julius Caesar landed at Dover, in 55 BC to
conquer England and later many others like the Vikings and William the
Conqueror also invaded England through Dover.



Its history as a military and garrison town can be seen by its massive
extensive remains of its Roman forts, 19th century forts and defences
from both the world wars when it was Britain’s front line defence town.



Today Dover depends a lot on its port for survival, and it is the
busiest passenger ferry terminal in world, the busiest cruise liner
terminal in Britain and its freight, particularly fruit and perishable
goods come and go via massive reefer cargo ships.



Only some few Stone Age axes have been found in Dover because of its
changing and restless sea coast.



The first known inhabitants of Dover’s River Dour Valley were the late
Stone Age Farmers who came here by boats with corn seeds and animals
about 6000 years ago.



Britain’s first ever found shipwreck (1100 BC) occurred in Dover in the
Bronze age as 350 bronze tools weapons and scrap metal were found on its
shore.



Over 45 Bronze Age Burial grounds were also found locally and in 1992,
when they were repairing a road in the town centre, a large wooden boat
from the Bronze Age was discovered in a deep waterlogged hole.



During the Roman period, this British port which was the closest to the
rest of the Roman Empire, making Dover a thriving trade town and it
occupied about 5 hectares along the Dour valley and they called this
town DUBRIS after DUBRAS, the British name meaning ‘waters.’



The Roman Settlement had a massive harbour, flanked by two lighthouses
and three forts.



There are 60 locations from the Roman period still found in Dover; some
of these are like the Roman Painted House at Dover, the Roman lighthouse
or Pharos in Dover Castle grounds and further a-field the Roman fort of
Richborough near Sandwich. Its museum has a large collection of Roman
Samian.



After the 5th century when the Romans abandoned Britain, the Germanic
tribes crossed the North Sea to settle in Kent, which at that time was
called DOFRAS. It became an important settlement for the Vikings in
Kent.



Many Saxon discoveries have been made in the Dover area like the
Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Buckland, which was found in 1951, while
building a new house estate there. 170 graves were also found on this
site, many containing weapons, jewellery and household objects such as
combs and pottery.



244 more graves were again found next to this point in Buckland in 1994,
making it the largest Anglo-Saxon cemetery in Britain. Many timber
buildings of the Saxon era were found in the centre of Dover and a
church (St Mary in Castro) within the castle walls. The town was
prosperous and well organized by the middle of 10th century with its own
mint and its cross channel trading links.



In around 1050 the five ports of Dover, Sandwich, Hastings, Rommey and
Hythe joined together to provide ships and men to King Edward the
Confessor and they were called the Cinque (meaning five in French)
Ports. So by providing all these things to the King, they received many
rights and privileges.



The battle of Hastings marked the end of the Saxon era on 14th October
1066. William Duke of Normandy defeated and killed King Harold and it
was a resounding victory for the horsed Norman knights over English foot
soldiers.



After his victory at Hastings in 1066, William Duke (now better known as
William the conqueror) and his army moved to Dover, pausing only to burn
Romney as he came, which then and now was the shortest passage to
France.

After securing Dover he went and took complete
control of Canterbury and then the whole of Surrey and Berkshire before
entering London. He was crowned King on Christmas Day in 1066 at
Westminster Abbey.



The parish church of St. James the Apostle built during the Saxon period
was partly destroyed in 1066. In the 12th century it is thought that the
church had an aisleless nave with a short tower, its ruins are still
visible today.



After its defeat at the hands of William Duke, Saxon Dover was rebuilt.
There was a lot of improvement with trade in Dover and carrying of
passengers between France and England expanded heavily. Great
improvements were made to Dover Castle and by 1190AD the massive stone
keep and inner walls or bailey surrounding it were completed.



Then in 13th century many attacks were made by the French, one of them
almost successful 1216 in seizure of the castle by Prince Louis and then
a great raid of 1295 when most of Dover was burnt to the ground by army
of 10,000 strong soldiers from France.



Most of the stone churches and religious houses in Dover were built in
the medieval history period.



Then Tudor and Stuart kings and queens took a keen interest in Dover.
Both Henry VIII and Elizabeth I knew the value of its port, which was
threatened by shingle, so they did expensive repairs and enlargements of
the port. King Henry also made improvements in Dover’s defences and
built castles at Deal, Sandown and Walmer to protect the Downs
anchorage.



During the rule of Charles I, Dover declared against the King in Civil
War, but ultimately they welcomed his son Charles II to Britain via
Dover in 1660. From this period to when its building of a large harbour
in the 19th century, Dover’s finance were mostly dependant on its small
port.



In the 18th and 19th centuries Dover became a town that had to be
defended from the Napoleonic French. First of all earthen batteries were
built along the sea front and across the Western heights of Dover to
increase its protection against cannon and shells. There was again a
need to strengthen Dover harbour after the breakout of war with France
in 1793. In 1804 when an invasion was expected at any time, a great
programme of buildings in stone and brick were carried out on the
Western Heights and they created two forts and deep brick-lined ditches.
A 140ft staircase, the Grand Shaft, linked the forts with the town.



The problem of shingle was removed in 1838. As a lot of money was spent
on this work and the local people getting tired of the delays and they
pressed the Govt. to take action fast. In 1840 the Government laid the
ground for a tidal harbour that could be used in any circumstances.



There were lots of changes taking place in the 19th century, when
railways and trams were built in Britain in 1844. It was the South
Eastern Company that built a line from London through Folkestone, where
all the steamers berthed, to Dover. In 1861 a direct line from London to
Dover was built by Chatham and Dover Railway Company because they had
their own steamers. Both these companies were in a stiff competition
until 1899 when they formed a South Eastern and Chatham Company.



Dover’s electric trams came in 1897 on two main routes - from the Pier
to Buckland Bridge and from Biggin Street to Maxton. In 1905 they were
further extended with half penny fares for early morning workers. The
complete form of the current harbour was completed on 14 October 1909 by
H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, the future King George V.



The trams were removed in 1936 when the motor bus took over.



Most of Dover’s history in the 20th century consists mostly about the
two world wars. During the first world war most of the military men
crossed over for France through Dover. Most of the shipping vessels
collected in Dover’s port and the first bomb to hit England was near
Dover’s Castle in 1914. Most of the aeroplanes and warships of the
zeppelin forces attacked the city and it was put under martial law.



During the second world war from 1939 to 1945, in May 1940 there was of
course the evacuation from Dunkirk in France that passed through Dover
making it overflow with soldiers, sailors and airmen.



Vice Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay controlled this process from his
headquarters under the tunnels below the castle and Dover became a
symbol for Britain’s fortitude on all fronts.



Many of the “Must See” things connected to Dover’s History can be seen
in Dover Museum.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Ram Singh has been involved in the UK Transportation
industry for over two decades and assists

Tourists with London Airport Transfers
  to all UK Hotels.
Contact

London Airport Shuttle Services
  when you visit England.




 


Building an historic record of St Michael's Church, Old Hawkinge

Contributed by editor on Nov 14, 2008 - 12:00 AM

The new owners of St. Michael's in Old Hawkinge are looking to build
an historical record of the XII century Norman Church.


<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

Mark Stevens is appealing to readers for any literature, stories and
images of the church to get in touch with him.



He is also gathering information about his ancestors from the area. A
number of them are buried in the grounds of the church.



Mark said: "Already we have met people who have been married here,
attended christenings, or who used to attend the services.



"Some just loved the building and knew of stories surrounding it.



"We already have quite a lot of material, but the more information we
can gather the better, especially old photographs, and its always good
to hear a tale or two."



If you can help please contact Mark on 01303 894703 or 07773 776048



To read the Hawkinge Gazette article of St
Michael's Church


click here





« 1 2 3 »