Two teenagers have been sentenced for their part in a serious assault in Canterbury city centre which left a boy with long-term injuries.
The victim, who was 17 at the time, was assaulted in Rose Lane, following a verbal altercation between two groups of young people during the early evening of Thursday 6 June 2019. He suffered serious head injuries, leaving him with long-term brain damage which requires ongoing treatment.
Following an investigation by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, ten people were charged in connection with the attack.
A jury unanimously found Jack Barron, 17, from Orpington and Luke Fogorolli from Canterbury, guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court. Barron was also found guilty of violent disorder. Fogorolli had already pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to violent disorder.
Witnesses said they had heard the two assailants boasting and laughing after the assault.
- Arrest after attempted armed robbery in Meopham
- Specials Task Force called in for clampdown on anti-social behaviour in Tonbridge
The two defendants were sentenced on Friday 15 January 2021, Barron to six years in a young offender institution. Fogorolli, who was also sentenced for a separate incident relating to possessing drugs with intent to supply and possession of an offensive weapon, received a total custodial sentence of six-and-a-half years.
Detective Inspector Ross Gurden said: ‘There can be no doubt of the part that was played by these two offenders in an assault which led to a teenager being left with life-changing injuries. ‘They may have run from the scene after the attack on that fateful day, but ultimately they will never be able to escape the consequences of their actions and I am pleased the court recognised the severity of their crimes.’Detective Inspector Ross Gurden
The remaining eight suspects are due to appear in court at a later date.