Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a house fire in London Road, Dover just after 9.00 yesterday morning

Two fire engines arrived at the property and crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.

Everyone was out of the house but firefighters had to rescue two cats, a dog and a guinea pig, before using specialist animal masks to provide oxygen.

Sadly, one cat and a number of guinea pigs died at the scene.

Members of KFRS’ Volunteer Response were on-hand to provide assistance and support for affected residents. Kent Police and SECAmb also attended.

Tumble Dryer

It’s believed the fire started accidentally when a tumble dryer caught alight in the kitchen.

Following the incident, crews are reminding people to take precautions when using a tumble dryer, such as not leaving it unattended when in use, following manufacturer guidelines and cleaning it regularly to remove any excess fluff.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites