A family in Margate had a lucky escape after a pan of oil was left inside a grill and caught alight when the oven was accidentally turned on. 

Two fire engines were sent to the house in William Avenue just after 9.15pm and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a dry powder extinguisher to put the fire out.  The residents were safely out of the property before crews arrived.

One girl was given oxygen by firefighters, after suffering from slight smoke inhalation, before being checked over by SECAmb as a precaution. 

Following the incident, people are reminded to take extra care when cooking, and to help reduce the risk of a kitchen fire by keeping ovens, grills and hobs clean and clear.

Oil and fat can catch alight if it gets too hot. 

Also, remember to keep cooking appliances switched off when not in use.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites