Residents alerted by a smoke alarm fled a flat in La Belle Alliance Square, Ramsgate, after a pan of oil overheated and caught alight.

Three fire engines were sent to the property, where crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished a fire on the hob. They also used a high pressure fan to clear the property of smoke. 

One person was given oxygen as a precaution after inhaling smoke. There were no other injuries reported. 

Following the incident, crews are reminding people not to get distracted while cooking, or to leave it unattended, and to avoid cooking if you’ve been drinking alcohol.

It’s also much safer not to use chip pans or deep fat fryers, especially older versions without a thermostat. 

Remember to have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and to test it weekly. 

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites