A violent man has been jailed after a victim was stabbed in Tunbridge Wells.

On 18 August 2022, patrols were called to a property in Belgrave Road, where a man suffering multiple stab wounds had knocked on the front door seeking assistance.

Members of the public gave first-aid until officers and paramedics arrived. The victim was taken to hospital for treatment to life-threatening injuries.

Enquiries led police to a flat in Upper Grosvenor Road.

Scene located

They entered and further traces of blood were found in the living room, where an attempt had been made to clear them up using a mop. Nobody was present and discarded, blood-stained clothing was discovered and seized.

The victim, who was in his 20s, told investigators he had gone to the address to discuss a dispute over a clothing purchase involving one of the occupants. Once there, he met a man he only knew by the nickname, ‘Knowledge’.

Kojo ohene DESKTOP
Kojo O’Hene

This was O’Hene, who then unexpectedly attacked him with a knife. The victim tried to protect himself by placing his arms over his head and pulling his legs up to his chest. In spite of his efforts he suffered a total of seven stab wounds.

The victim escaped from the premises and drove a car to Belgrave Road, where the emergency services were alerted.

Tracked down

O’Hene was identified as the assailant and detectives tracked him down to an address in Croydon where he was arrested three days later. The Crown Prosecution Service authorised a charge of attempted murder and O’Hene pleaded not guilty at Maidstone Crown Court. Following a trial, he was found not guilty of attempted murder but convicted of wounding with intent.

On Monday 24 July 2023, O’Hene, aged 45, was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment with an additional three years on licence when he is released. 

Detective Constable Nell Shortis, of West Kent CID, said: ‘This was an unprovoked and extremely violent assault and it is only by chance that the victim’s injuries were not fatal. Attempts were made to clear up the blood at the scene but the swift response from patrols ensured vital evidence was recovered to ensure a successful conviction.

‘It was then only a matter of time before O’Hene was tracked down to an address in London and brought to justice. I would like to commend the courage of the victim who has assisted our investigation throughout and also the members of the public who provided immediate first aid and then alerted paramedics and the police.’

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites