A peaceful Sunday afternoon, 31 December, turned into a nightmare for a family in Minster on Sea, Sheerness, when their e-bike suddenly burst into flames while charging in their garage.

The fire quickly spread to the house, engulfing it in smoke and flames. Two fire engines rushed to the scene, where firefighters battled the blaze with hose reel jets and fog spikes.

The family managed to escape the inferno, but two of them suffered from smoke inhalation. They were treated at the scene, but no other injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty e-bike battery, which overheated and ignited while charging.

This incident serves as a warning to all users of chargeable items, such as e-cigarettes, e-scooters or e-bikes, to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Never leave them charging unattended, and always unplug them when they are fully charged. Otherwise, you could risk losing your home or even your life.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites