An uninsured driver who fled the scene of a serious collision near Gravesend has been jailed.

Police report that on 16 February 2024, Matthew Sparkes was driving an Audi S3 Quattro on the coastbound carriageway of the A2. He was seen to move suddenly from the outside to the inside lane where his vehicle struck the rear of a Ford Fiesta.

Matthew Sparkes LATEST
Matthew Sparkes

The Ford spun across the carriageway striking a third vehicle, while the Audi continued for a further 500 metres before colliding with a barrier. Sparkes got out of the car and left the scene without checking on the other people involved in the incident. 

Life-changing injuries

Three women in the Ford suffered injuries and were taken to hospital for medical attention. One of them had life-changing injuries and continues to receive ongoing treatment.

A forensic examination of the Audi recovered Sparkes’ DNA and a fingerprint. Kent Police issued an appeal for witnesses and stated Sparkes was wanted in connection with the incident. On 19 February he was arrested at North Kent Police Station. Sparkes, from Bexleyheath, Greater London was charged and later pleaded guilty at Woolwich Crown Court to causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving without insurance.

On Friday 26 April, the 35-year-old was sentenced to three years and 11 months’ imprisonment. This included the activation of a suspended sentence. Sparkes will also be disqualified from driving for seven years and 10 months on his release from prison and will be required to take an extended driving test. 

PC Lee Berridge, of Kent Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said:

‘This man got behind the wheel of a car knowing he was uninsured and then proceeded to travel in a dangerous manner without considering the safety of other road users. He caused a catastrophic collision due to his appalling driving and callously fled the scene, thinking only to avoid arrest.

‘He left a young woman with life-changing injuries in the car he had struck and hid himself away until choosing to attend a police station with a legal representative, four days later. He should be truly ashamed of his conduct. I would like to commend the victims who have assisted us build the case against Sparkes and ultimately bring him to justice.’

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites