HGV Driver Jailed for 11 Years After Causing Deadly M20 Crash While on Video Call


A lorry driver who was on a video call when he caused the death of a motorist on the M20 has been jailed for 11 years.

Zvonko Tomisa was found to have used his mobile phone multiple times leading up to the fatal incident on the morning of Tuesday 25 November 2025. Emergency services were called to the London-bound carriageway of the M20, between junctions 8 and 9 near Lenham, following reports of a road traffic collision involving three vehicles.

A white MAN lorry driven by Tomisa collided with a black Nissan Qashqai and a white Scania articulated lorry. Both vehicles were in standstill traffic at the time due to an earlier, unrelated collision further ahead on the motorway. The driver of the Nissan, 36-year-old Arran McManus, was confirmed deceased at the scene. Tomisa was taken to hospital with serious injuries before being arrested, while the driver of the Scania lorry escaped uninjured.

Through dashcam footage and witness accounts, officers investigating the collision established that the 58-year-old driver had ignored a 50mph speed limit sign as well as hazard light warnings from other vehicles. He failed to notice the traffic coming to a halt in front of him, continuing along the motorway at speed and only braking one second before the impact.


A subsequent examination of Tomisa’s phone revealed he had been messaging and video calling multiple people after setting off from Dover.


Tomisa, of Vidovec in Croatia, was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and pleaded guilty on 9 April 2026. On Monday 18 May 2026, he was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court to 11 years’ imprisonment and was also disqualified from driving for 14 years and four months.


Chief Inspector Craig West said: 


‘Arran McManus’ death was completely avoidable. He was on his way to work and got caught in traffic on the M20, yet the actions of Zvonko Tomisa meant he never made it.  Mr McManus was a huge part of the Ashford community and his death has had a devastating impact. I’d like to thank Mr McManus’ family and loved ones for their support throughout our investigation. They have been put through a horrific ordeal and I hope they find some closure in today’s verdict.’


‘Tomisa has never offered an explanation to what happened that morning but he clearly wasn’t paying attention to the road in front of him. If anything good can come from this tragic incident, I hope it’s that people look at Mr McManus’ death and realise the detrimental impacts that can be caused by using a phone whilst driving. We have a zero tolerance policy for this at Kent Police, and will do everything we can to ensure no other family has to go through what Mr McManus’ family is having to endure.’


Mr McManus’ partner said:


‘As a family, we’d like to thank the multiple members of public and emergency services who went to help Arran on the motorway. Life with Arran was full of energy, he was clever, witty, ambitious, always pushing himself, always making us laugh. Even mundane moments like shopping in Tesco or cleaning the house were fun with him.  


‘He was one of the good ones for sure.  Arran’s death has shattered our family. We have lost a loving partner, a devoted dad, an active mentor, and a central figure in our community. The emotional trauma, the unanswered questions, and the permanent absence we now face cannot be measured. Our lives have changed forever.’ 

Exit mobile version