News DIGEST  

 

News

Hawkinge Parish Council minutes of meeting 12 January 2005

Contributed by editor on Feb 11, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Minutes of the meeting of HAWKINGE PARISH COUNCIL held on 12th January 2005 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall


Present: Cllr. Callahan (Chairman)

Cllrs. Ms Brisley, Heasman, Hodgson, Hogben, Punnett, Smith and Trice


In attendance: Mrs Hardy (Clerk)


Apologies: Cllr. Mrs Newton (work commitment)

Mr Ian Norman (Community Warden)


OPEN MEETING


Matters raised by parishioners at the meeting included: the need for a light in the alleyway next to the village hall; a contribution by the PC to the national Tsunami Disaster Fund; contamination surveys to be carried out prior to the construction of the northern section of the relief road and housing developments that have been granted planning permission; enlargement of Terlingham before the new road is built.

The planning application and its conditions that provided the answer to the last two questions were reported during the meeting under Planning and Development.

Mrs Metcalfe, Principal of Franze Academy, complained about an incident that took place at the Hawkinge Community Centre on 20th December. The Chairman expressed his concern and said the Council would pass the complaint to the Trustees of the Community Centre.

END OF OPEN MEETING


40 Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 8th December 2004 were confirmed and signed by the Chairman (prop. Cllr. Hogben, sec. Cllr. Heasman)



41 Declarations of Interest

Cllrs. Callahan and Smith declared an interest in planning matters (members of Development Control Committee SDC) they reserved the right to make a decision at District level when they are in possession of all the facts relating to an application. 

Cllr. Heasman declared an interest in the Community Centre (Trustee)

Cllrs. Trice and Hodgson declared an interest in the Football Project (founder members of Hawkinge Football Club).



42 Matters arising out of the Minutes

Finance 34/04 (d)

Cllr. Trice asked for a separate item to be placed on the next agenda to discuss matters related to the village hall ground.



43 Reports – Working Groups

(a) Community Liaison

Cllr. Brisley said a post box had still not been placed outside the PO and more signs are needed. The approach to the Community Centre from Haven Drive and the car park behind the Centre are in a very bad state. It was agreed that the Council write to Shepway District Council (owners of the land) and to the Community Centre.



(b) Planning and Development

Cllr. Trice reported that the following applications were granted planning permission with conditions by the Development Control Committee, SDC, at its meeting held on 21st December 2004.

Y03/0903/SH North of Gibraltar Lane and Land between Southern Bypass and Aerodrome Road: erection of 344 dwellings and construction of a new link road: Y03/0904/SH Land to the north of Aerodrome Road and Barnhurst Lane and west and north of 145-173 Canterbury Road: erection of 196 dwellings and a new road between Aerodrome Road and Canterbury Road:

Y04/1331/SH Land at junction of Haven Drive and Spitfire Way: erection of a public house incorporating 2 self-contained flats

Cllr. Trice had a copy of the minutes and he referred to some of the conditions, viz. removal of the bollards in Webster Way within 3 months of completion of the relief road; Spitfire Way will have crossings on it (the developers are being asked to contribute to the cost); there will be a Safety Impact Study. He thought the relief road would be built prior to the construction of Terlingham III. 

Cllr. Smith said SDC is considering an Unadopted Road Policy at the present time. There will be full consultation with residents and the PC.

Cllr. Hodgson reminded councillors of the proposal to close Mill Lane in the event of the bollards at Webster Way being removed. 

The Joint Transportation Board, SDC, is considering speed limits for Spitfire Way. The Chairman said the Board has to consider the affect it will have on traffic passing through Swingfield. The Council decided to write to SDC about its concerns.



(c) Public Rights of Way 

The problem of parking outside Churchill School was raised. Clerk to write again to the Highway Unit about the urgent need for zigzag markings outside the entrance.



44 Other Bodies

(a) Community Centre

Cllr. Hodgson reported that a meeting was held after the Trustees received a complaint about events on 20th December. A Press Release will be published.

Cllr. Heasman told councillors that Richard Robinson had resigned his post because he is immigrating to New Zealand. Geoff Towler has been appointed Manager of the Centre. 

(b) Village Hall

Cllr. Brisley said the Management Committee is spending £10,000 on repairs and renovations to the hall. Now that ownership of the land has been established, the VHMC would be making a complaint to the PC about the state of the car park.

(c ) Neighbourhood Management Partnership

Cllr. Smith reported that Strange Cargo Arts Company, Folkestone, have started an initiative to get all villages in Kent to make a “giant� to parade at events and festivals in the same way continental towns and villages do. HNP may give a grant to the organisers of a scheme for Hawkinge.

(d) The Churchill School – Board of Governors

Cllr. Smith said the Nativity Play was very good. There was nothing else to report. 

(e) Hawkinge Primary School – Board of Governors

Cllr. Hodgson had attended the Carol Evening that was very successful.

(f) KAPC, Shepway Area Committee

The next meeting will be held on 20th January.



45 Spitfire Leisuredrome

Hawkinge Youth & Community Sports Council – Lease

Mr Patrick Lawrence, Chairman of the Trustees, had asked the Chairman to meet him before HY&CSC instructed their solicitor. Cllr. Callahan said they had discussed a few points and he expected that the Council’s solicitor would be able to prepare the final draft as soon as he received the letter from Rootes & Alliott. The draft Lease will have to be approved by full Council and the Clerk noted the names of councillors who wish to receive a copy before the meeting.



46 Hawkinge Football Ground

(a) Management of the ground

Cllr. Hodgson said he wanted to extend the use of the ground; it is under used at present. The Council decided to invite Folkestone Dynamos to meet Cllr. Hodgson to discuss the possibility of their club playing on the ground this season. 

The notices regarding dog fouling put up by the Community Warden had been removed. Clerk to ask for replacements.



(b) The Football Project

Cllr. Trice said he would bring information about the specification and cost of the proposed car park to the next meeting, so that the Council can make a decision. The Council needs more people playing football on the ground before it can apply for the FF grant. 

Cllr. Smith proposed that Mr McCreedy, Parks & Recreation Manager, SDC, be advised that the ground is available for use (copy to Cllr. Mrs Waters). Anyone can apply that is prepared to comply with the conditions for play. The Clerk was asked to advise Folkestone Invicta Football Club that the ground is available for hire. 



47 Highway Maintenance Work

The Council received a letter from Mr Matthew Sims, Shepway Highway Manager (22nd December) about a scheme to provide a general road maintenance gang for January, February and March, to carry out small-scale highway maintenance work in the rural parishes. The scheme is called County Lengthsmen. The Council was asked to compile a list of work required on a priority basis. Councillors will contact the Clerk before the end of the week. 



48 Finance

(a) The Clerk reported that Mr Preston had carried out an interim audit on 10th

January. Cllr. Callahan said he had received a letter from Mr Preston in which he stated that the books are in order. He thanked the Clerk for presenting the Council’s accounts for audit. The Risk Assessment that forms part of the Annual Audit 2004/05 will be brought to the next meeting.

The Clerk said the Council would need to have a valuation of the village hall and land to update the list of fixed assets held by Hawkinge PC.

It was Resolved that the Council ask the District Valuer to provide a valuation of the village hall and land to add to the list of Fixed Assets to comply with Audit Commission regulations. (prop. Cllr. Heasman, sec. Cllr. Trice) All in favour



SDC had advised that the estimate of the Council Tax base for Hawkinge for 2005/06 is 2,315.64. This figure represents the estimated full year equivalent number of chargeable dwellings expressed as the equivalent number of band D dwellings after allowing for discounts etc. 



(b) Payments

It was Resolved that payment of the following accounts be approved (prop. Cllr. Trice, sec. Cllr. Heasman) Votes: For 7 Against 0 Abstention 1




Cheque


£




GSE Design & Build Ltd.


signed Dec.


26,028.60




see note below




Victim Support (donation)


12.1.05


50.00



KCC (KCS)



12.43


SEEBOARD (Leisuredrome)



20.40


Clerk's salary



687.88


Expenses



32.15


Staples (office supplies)



96.43


NatWest EBS


DD


10.00


SDC rates Football Ground


DD


72.00



Folkestone & Dover Water Services


38.71


Society of Local Council Clerks (sub.)



91.00




Burr & Neve, Chartered Quantity Surveyors


822.50



A.P.Willcox, Printers (Dec. & Jan.)



172.00


Harry Preston (interim audit)



50.00


49 Correspondence

(a) Mrs E. Blythe, a resident of Stombers Lane: request for an allotment plot.

The Council does not own any land that would be suitable for allotments. It was decided that the matter be raised at the Parish Meeting to find out if there is a demand for them. Cllr. Brisley said the Gardeners Club had been approached but they were unable to help Mrs Blythe.

(b) The following correspondence was received and noted:

(i) Kent County Council: consultation conference with PCs re delivery of Kent

Highways service from April 2005 on 18th February at Hollingbourne

(ii) Environment Agency: Folkestone to Cliff End Flood Risk and Coastal

Erosion Strategy Review SEA Scoping Report December 2004 (one copy)

(iii) Kent Design: Creating Environmental Excellence – an overview of the Kent

Design Guide (one copy)


50 Plans

(a) Y04/1324/SH Hawkinge and Elham Valley Practice, 74 Canterbury Road: siting

of a portakabin. Councillors received a letter from the Practice Manager (22nd

December) in which she asked the Council to withdraw its objection because additional parking spaces could be provided at the back of the Health Centre. 

The Council had objected on the grounds that there would be a loss of car parking space. It was aware that there were parking spaces at the rear of the building.

It was Resolved that the Council’s objection to the application stands

(prop. Cllr. Trice, sec. Cllr. Hogben) Votes For 6 Against 0 Abstentions 2 (District Councillors)



(b) Planning Group decisions

Y04/1728/SH Tesco Store, 107 Canterbury Road: installation of an external chiller unit and relocation of plant unit. No objection

Y04/1733/SH 73 Heron Forstal Avenue: erection of a two-storey side extension to form separate annexe accommodation. No objection



Plan considered at the meeting:

Y04/1647/SH 61A Aerodrome Road: erection of 2 No. 3 bedroom semi-detached dwellings with integral garages No objections For 5 Against 0 Abstentions 3 (2 District Councillors)



51 Annual Parish Meeting 2005

Councillors were asked to decide the date and venue for the Parish Meeting that must be held between 1st March and 1st June. It was agreed that it be held on Wed. 25th May at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall, provided the hall is free on that date.



At this point Cllr. Hodgson left the meeting



52 CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS

It was resolved that because publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by

Reason of the confidential nature of business to be transacted the public (including the Press) be excluded from the meeting pursuant to the provision of sub section 100 & 102 of the Local Government Act, 1972.



53 Code of Conduct

The Council received and noted the contents of a letter addressed to the

Chairman by Cllr. Punnett (undated ) and the Clerk’s reply (13th December 2004)



The meeting closed at 9.50 pm