News

Hawkinge Parish Council meeting minutes 14 June 2006

Contributed by editor on Jul 31, 2006 - 08:02 PM


Minutes of the meeting of HAWKINGE PARISH COUNCIL held on 14th June 2006
in the Village Hall at 7.30 p.m. 

Present: Cllr. Callahan (Chairman)
Cllrs. Brisley, Heasman, Hodgson, Punnett and Trice

In attendance: Mrs Hardy (Clerk)

Apologies: Cllrs. Avery, Hogben and Smith

OPEN MEETING

A member of the Hawkinge Community Events Group that meets at the Partnership offices and is organising Fun Day this year, asked for a donation of £100 towards the cost of an outdoor Entertainments Licence for the village green. 

A resident of The Street presented a letter of complaint about Kent Highways maintenance schedule - drains are not cleared and flooding occurs in The Street and Millfields. He asked the PC to request a regular road sweeping schedule.

Mr Lawrence, Secretary to Hawkinge Youth & Community Sports Council, said that following the unsuccessful attempt by HY&CSC to lease the Leisuredrome, the charity had continued to raise money that had been given to youth projects and schools. The Community Centre hall is not being used for sport at the present time and there is a need for a proper sports hall for young and older people. He asked the Council to consider a bid for the Leisuredrome site by a developer who could provide an alternative plot of equal size for the construction of a new hall. The Chairman stated that Andrew Beggs & Associates is acting for the Council and it cannot enter into direct negotiations. 
Rev. Wardell, Trustee, said HY&CSC would continue to obtain grants to assist projects for youth and sport in Hawkinge and its environs.

END OF OPEN MEETING

298 Declarations of Interest

Cllr. Callahan declared an interest in planning matters (member of Development Control Committee SDC) he reserved the right to make a decision at District level when he is in possession of all the facts relating to an application. Cllr. Heasman declared an interest in matters concerning the Community Centre and Village Hall (Chairman of the Executive Committee, Community Centre and Chairman of Village Hall Management Committee). Cllr. Callahan declared an interest in Hawkinge Community Events Group [min. 309(b)] 

299 Minutes

The minutes of the Annual Meeting held on 10th May 2006 were confirmed and signed (prop. Cllr. Heasman, sec. Cllr. Hodgson)

300 Matters arising out of the Minutes

(a) Allotments [min. 275]
The Clerk had received replies from the Property Manager, SDC and Property Development Surveyor, KCC, both stating that they had no suitable land available. The developers contacted had not replied. 
(b) Memorial Garden – Flag Poles [min.290(b)] 
The Clerk was waiting for a quotation for the installation of the flag poles.
(c) Access from Blenheim Drive to Canterbury Road 
The Clerk read a reply just received from the Property Manager, SDC (12th June).
He stated that there is currently no public Right of Way over the footpath running alongside the Neighbourhood Partnership office and there are signs advising the public of this. The path was fenced off behind the office but sections have been removed/vandalised. SDC is attempting to dispose of the large area of vacant land to the rear of the office and it does not wish to encourage the public to cross over the land that has no public Right of Way over it. This means that the residents of Blenheim Drive should, for the time being, use the public footpath along Aerodrome Road as the shortest route to the village centre.
The Chairman said he had spoken to Mr Holley already on the subject and intended to contact Cllr. Monk the holder of the property portfolio.
It was agreed that the Parish Council should endeavour to get a Right of Way granted, so that there is a direct route for pedestrians from Canterbury Road to Blenheim Drive.
(d) Children’s Entertainment [min. 293(c)]
Arrangements had not been made to date. Cllr. Trice pointed out that the Community Newsletter for August needs copy by the second week in July.
(e) Hawkinge Harry [min.291]
Cllr. Trice said Hawkinge Harry would take part in the Charivari Day Giants Festival in Folkestone on Sat. 15th July

301 Reports
(a) Community Liaison 
Cllr. Brisley offered to provide plants for the flower tubs outside the village hall. 
Kent Landscape Services had still not produced a quotation for planting and maintaining the flower tubs as promised.
(b) Planning and Development – Plans Y06/0473/SH and Y06/074/SH
Cllr. Trice said he was concerned that there were buildings and a Local Environmental Activity Play Area (LEAP) shown on the drawings that were obviously outside the village envelope. Detailed planning is on hold at the moment. Cllr. Brisley said the owners of 173 Canterbury Road had complained to her that the plans they were shown had been altered.
SDC to be advised that buildings are outside the development envelope, and there is a pond in the vicinity that could be preserved as a local wildlife feature. 
(c) Public Rights of Way 
Cllr. Punnett reported that a double litter bin opposite the Fish Shop is constantly overfilled. As a result litter is dumped on the pavement and it has not been collected. 
Cllr. Punnett proposed that the PC ask Kent Highways again to colour the lower footpath outside the shops and request a site meeting. This was agreed.
The forecourt of one of the shops is in a bad state of repair. The Clerk was asked to write to the proprietor to ask that they provide a safe environment for their customers. 
(d) Finance
No meeting. Cllr. Callahan said he hoped to make arrangements for the Group to meet on a regular basis in future to discuss items referred to it by full Council. 
302 Other Bodies
(a) Neighbourhood Management Partnership
Cllr. Brisley had been invited to attend her first meeting as the Council’s youth representative on 15th June. 
(b) Community Centre 
Cllr. Hodgson said the Executive Committee had not called an annual general meeting of the Charity that should, according to the constitution, be held in May or as soon as practicable thereafter. He had been told that the audit of the accounts had not been completed, but he had not been asked to attend a meeting of the Executive Committee to discuss the situation. He stated that as a Trustee he was not happy with the situation.
The Chairman said a date for the AGM on a Bank Holiday was cancelled and residents were asking when it would be held. He asked for it to be recorded in the minutes that the Parish Council is very disappointed that an AGM of the Charity has not taken place. 
Cllr. Heasman said there are staff shortages and the Trustees are looking for a treasurer.
(c) Village Hall 
Cllr. Heasman said an estimate to paint the interior of the hall had been accepted.
(d) Hawkinge Community Safety Forum
The next meeting will be held on 22nd June at the Partnership Office at 7.30 pm

303 Hawkinge Football Ground

(a) The Football Project
Cllr. Trice reported that the contractor had carried out the renovation work on the ground. It had been re-seeded and fertilised - 13 lorry loads of sand had been delivered. It is essential that the water supply be connected before the start of the next season in August. Efforts to get the gas and electric services installed at the same time had been unsuccessful. A toilet facility must be purchased next month.
(b) Management of the ground
Cllr. Hodgson said his work commitments meant he could no longer put up the nets. A young man looking for employment had made inquiries. The Chairman said he would investigate employment legislation for part time workers. 

304 Sports Association 

(a) Cllr. Trice had advertised in the community newsletter that a meeting would be 
held in August to set up the Sports Association. 
He hoped the Council would approve the draft constitution - it could be amended at any time if required. The SA will be a vehicle to raise funds for the football project and all other sports. 
(b) Draft Constitution 
The Chairman asked for councillors’ comments on the draft that was distributed at the last meeting. Cllr. Heasman proposed that the majority of the membership of the clubs should be based in Hawkinge (CT18). 
It was Resolved that the draft constitution be accepted and the Sports Association proceeds to the next stage that will involve prospective members of the clubs. The constitution will come back to the Parish Council for ratification.
(prop. Cllr. Brisley, sec. Cllr. Punnett) Votes: all in favour

305 Multi-Sport Complex – Land at Cricketers Close

The Sport and Activity Project Group had been asked to do a feasibility study. 
Three companies had submitted their illustrated proposals that were presented at the meeting. Cllr. Trice said the Group had its preferences but it would like to consult the Youth Forum and SDC at this stage. He proposed that the plans showing the layout and content of the complex be displayed in the Community Centre and HNP be asked to devise a questionnaire to accompany them. 
The next stage would be to consult SDC about arrangements for the use of the land at Cricketers Close.
It was Resolved that the Sport and Activity Project Group display the three proposals received in the Community Centre, ask the Youth Forum for their views and consult with Shepway District Council regarding the use of the land at Cricketers Close. (prop. Cllr. Trice, sec. Cllr. Heasman) Votes: all in favour 

306 Finance

(a) 3rd Hawkinge Scout Group had written to thank the Council for the donation of 
£100. 
(b) The Clerk reported that 19 litter bins supplied by Broxap had been delivered to 
KCC Landscape Services and the invoice received. KCC had advised her that they were hesitant to unpack the bins due to possible damage from their further movement to their installation sites. As the condition of the bins on delivery could not be approved by KCC, it was decided that Broxap be asked to accept 50% of the total account now and the balance after installation. 
(c) Payments
The following accounts were approved for payment (prop. Cllr. Trice, sec. Cllr. Punnett) Votes: all in favour
ch. Date £
Total Turf Solutions 19.5.06 2,585.00 
Vesey (2 Samba Goals and nets) 14.6.06 209.94 
Broxap (part payment) " 8,495.25 
Mrs Hardy (salary) " 726.57 
Expenses " 25.08 
SDC rates (SL) DD 99.00 
SDC rates (Football ground) DD 18.00 
NatWest EBS DD 10.00 

307 Village Hall Car Park

The Chairman stated that the three councillors appointed to study the H&S Report received at the March meeting had not met, and the Council could not delay making a decision any longer. He proposed to call an extraordinary meeting within the next 2 weeks. 
It was Resolved that an extraordinary meeting of the Council be called by the Chairman to consider the H&S Report on the village hall car park.
(prop. Cllr. Callahan, sec. Cllr. Brisley) Votes: all in favour

308 Website for HPC

Cllr. Avery had sent the Clerk a copy of the Sandgate web site and suggested that the Council look into the possibility of Hawkinge PC having its own site. As the Sandgate web site is linked to Kent County Council the Clerk had spoken to Cllr. Susan Carey who had said she would make some enquiries.

309 Correspondence

(a) The Council received the following correspondence:
Kent Highway Services Parish/Town Council Briefings – 27th June in Canterbury
Action with Communities in Rural Kent Quarterly meeting 22nd June
Kent & Medway Structure Plan – Notice of Intention to Adopt the Plan
KCC Kent Minerals Development Framework 2006 – 2021 Pre-submission for Public Participation – two documents Construction Aggregates and The Core Minerals Strategy
English Heritage – advice that an application to have the SL building listed had been refused (6th June) 
(b) Community Events Committee – request for a donation in the open meeting.
Cllr. Heasman proposed that a donation of £100 be made.
It was Resolved that a donation of £100 be made to the Hawkinge Community Events Committee towards the cost of an outdoor licence for the village green.
(prop. Cllr. Brisley, sec. Cllr. Punnett) Votes: all in favour 

Cllr. Callahan left the meeting while the above item was discussed. Cllr. Heasman took the Chair.

310 Plans 

Y06/0437/SH 72 The Street: erection of a detached chalet bungalow
Plan called in for a decision by the Development Control Committee, SDC. 
Objection on the grounds that the exit is too close to the traffic calming and the crossing and the PC believes the access is cutting across public land.
Y06/0606/SH 27 The Meade: erection of a single storey front extension
No objections
Y06/0626/SH 26 The Meade: erection of a two storey side extension and single storey front/side extension, following demolition of existing garage.
No objections.
Y06/0593/SH Elvington Farm, Elvington Lane: change of use of land for the keeping of horses, together with conversion of existing barn to stables and formation of a ménage. No objections
Y06/0672/SH 28 Mitchell Avenue: non-compliance with condition 3 of planning permission 95/0332/SH to allow erection of a part single and part two storey side/rear extension following demolition of existing garage, as a re-submission of Y06/0240/SH. No objections
The above comments submitted by the Planning Group were approved.
Y06/0671/SH 8 Widgeon Walk: extensions to roof to provide additional living accommodation together with the provision of new dormer windows to front and rear roof slopes and provision of French doors and balcony to side elevation and new windows at 2nd floor level. No objections Comment: the Council would prefer the use of obscure glass to be used in the dormer windows.
Additional comment sent 15.6.06: the Council is concerned about the lack of privacy for neighbours through the use of dormer windows.
Y06/0702/SH Plot 23 land opposite the Churchill School: provision of a children’s play area (applicant Pathfinder Pubs) No objection
Y06/0714/SH 9 Hunt Close: erection of a single storey front extension
No objection
Y06/0721/SH 95 Heron Forstal Avenue: erection of single storey extensions to front and rear together with a two storey side extension. No objection
Y06/0743/SH 105 Canterbury Road: erection of a first floor rear extension and retention of existing single storey side extension. Objection on the grounds that this is over intensified development of the site.
Y06/0747/SH 5 Bittern Close: erection of a single storey side extension
No objection
Y06/0754/SH Land West Paxton Avenue (opposite Gibraltar Farm)
Outline application including means of access and siting for residential development on land between the existing residential development and the land approved as part of outline planning permission Y03/0903/SH.
No objection provided that the infrastructure, including water supply, is in place before development commences.

311 CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS

It was resolved that because publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by 
Reason of the confidential nature of business to be transacted the public (including the Press) be excluded from the meeting pursuant to the provision of sub section 100 & 102 of the Local Government Act, 1972.

312 Clerk’s Salary Review

Councillors had received a copy of the 2006/07 National Salary Award for Local Council Clerks recommended by NALC and SLCC. The Council agreed that the recommended increase for Scale LC1 SCP 22 should be accepted.
It was Resolved that the Clerk’s salary be increased commencing 1st April 2006 to SCP 22 hourly rate £9.589p x 18 hours = £8,975.30 per annum 
(£747.94 monthly)

The Clerk left the room while the above item was discussed

The meeting closed at 10.15 pm