News

Two men convicted in crack down on fly-tipping

Contributed by editor on Feb 07, 2009 - 12:00 AM










Shepway District Council says taking two men to court for the illegal
transportation of waste demonstrates its commitment to crack down on
fly-tipping.













<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">




One of the men, from St Leonards-on Sea, Sussex,
pleaded not guilty to failing to secure a written description of
controlled waste. He was convicted and given a six-month conditional
discharge by the court and was ordered to pay £250 costs.



In a separate case, a man pleaded guilty to the same offence and also
one of failing to have a waste carrier's licence. He was fined £100 for
each offence and ordered to pay £35 costs.



The men were stopped in June last year on the
A259 on Romney Marsh by Shepway Council's environmental officers in a
joint operation with Kent Police to crack down on fly-tipping in the
area.

More than 100 commercial vehicles were stopped in the
successful two-day Operation Dredge and 19 Fixed Penalty Notices of £300
were issued for carrying waste without a licence.



Cllr William Richardson, Shepway Council's Cabinet Member for Technical
and Environmental Health, said taking the men to court demonstrated the
council's commitment to cracking down on the illegal carrying of waste
and fly-tipping.



"It is important that we make it clear to any commercial waste carriers
coming into Shepway that we expect them to know the rules and to have
all the correct paperwork with them.



"These operations will continue and the council will not hesitate in
prosecuting offenders who choose to carry waste illegally and refuse to
accept responsibility for these enviro-crimes."