News

Lucky escape for Rochester couple after waking up to find house on fire

Contributed by editor on Feb 12, 2017 - 07:36 PM

A Rochester couple had a lucky escape after they were woken during the early hours by a fire in their Sidney Road, Rochester home.
 

 

 

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at around 3.20am and fire crews were on the scene within five minutes of receiving the 999 call.

 

A breathing apparatus team went into the house and used a hose reel to put the fire out. They then spent time cutting away and exposing the joists to check for fire spread.

 

Hospital

The man and woman, thought to be in their 50s were taken to hospital by ambulance after breathing in smoke.

It is thought the fire was caused by the flue from a log burner, which ignited the joist between the ground and first floor causing fire damage to two bedrooms and smoke damage to a third.

 

Smoke alarms

The couple were fortunate that they woke when they did, your family might not be so lucky. Don't leave it to chance, make sure you have working smoke alarms. They really are the single most important piece of life-saving equipment in your home and will provide the vital early warning needed.

Speak to one of our home safety advisors to get advice to help keep your family and home safe. Call freephone 0800 923 7000, or email us home@kent.fire-uk.org  - all our services are free of charge.

 

more news

2px black line divider

comments

blog comments powered by Disqus