News

Hythe resident discovers e-cigarettes can also cause fires

Contributed by editor on May 11, 2017 - 09:00 AM

kelly_holmes_charity

 

A Hythe resident has discovered that e-cigarettes can also cause fires.

 


Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to a blaze in a Hythe bedroom shortly after 6.30pm yesterday 10 May.

The occupant raised the alarm reporting smoke coming from upstairs.

Two fire engines arrived on the scene within minutes and a breathing apparatus team went into the two-storey house in Bartholomew Street where they used a hose reel to extinguish the fire in a first floor bedroom.

An unattended e-cigarette charger is believed to have caused the fire.

Safety tips

If you use an e-cigarette, please follow these safety tips when charging:

Only use the charger supplied with your e-cigarette

If no charger is supplied check with the manufacturer for a list of approved chargers

Read the instructions on how to clean the battery centre pin and charger contact

Stop charging once it has been fully charged

Don’t leave it charging overnight, unattended or charging on flammable surfaces such as a bed or sofa

Don’t over-tighten the battery – especially when charging

Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly, they can and do save lives.

 

more news

© Hawkinge Gazette and Channel Coast News 2003 - 

2px black line divider


comments

Comments powered by Disqus