News

Dover family escape fires twice in a week

Contributed by editor on Apr 04, 2005 - 09:38 PM

DOVER FAMILY ESCAPE FIRE TWICE IN A WEEK

A family was saved from fire last week by smoke alarms that firefighters had fitted just days before.


When Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called out to a grill pan alight in Whinless Road, Saint Radigunds on Wednesday (30 March), crews put out the blaze and fitted the property with new ten-year smoke alarms and advised the family on fire safety.

The advice proved invaluable for the family when the upstairs smoke alarm was triggered on Friday morning, waking a teenage girl in an upstairs bedroom.

She discovered a fire in another bedroom and alerted the rest of the family and closed the bedroom door to help prevent the fire from spreading. They all managed to get out of the house safely and called the emergency services.

Dover Sub Officer Jamie Muddle said: “Without a working smoke alarm, the family would not have had much chance of survival, especially the girl asleep upstairs, due to the highly toxic smoke produced by the fire.�

 
Links
  1. https://localrags.co.uk/https://localrags.co.uk/index.php/Printer/2005/4/4/dover-family-escape-fires-twice-in-a-week/