Articles [1] | Local events [2]

Articles: How to get help with your heating bills

Contributed by editor on Nov 06, 2008 - 12:00 AM

Local events [3]

Howard's Way.... a weekly
column from the Rt. Hon. Michael Howard QC. MP. 

6 November 2008


At a recent meeting at the House of Commons with representatives of
Shepway’s pensioners, the suggestion was made that I use one of my
columns in this newspaper to tell people how they can get help with
their heating bills.

It seemed to me a very good suggestion, so here

It perhaps goes without saying that the steep increase in these bills
has caused many people great hardship. So it is particularly important
that those who need help know how to get it.

And there is no doubt that such help is available.

For example, 55,000 households are presently on EDF’s Assist Tariff,
open to customers who spend 10 percent or more of their income on energy
or who receive certain benefits.

N Power operates a First Step scheme for vulnerable customers, which
offers a 20 percent discount off the standard rate.

Other companies have different schemes.

So here are the numbers to ring: EDF Energy Trust Fund, 01733 421 021; N
Power, 0845 166 3535; British Gas Energy Trust, 0845 850 2207; EON, 0800
051 1480.

But the help available doesn’t stop there.

If your property needs insulation and you are in receipt of certain
benefits you may be able to get money from the Government’s Warm Front
grants scheme. Up to £2,700, or £4,000 if your home needs central
heating, is available.

To find out if you are eligible you can call Eaga Partnership, the Warm
Front scheme manager on freephone 0800 316 6011 or textphone 0800 072

I do very much hope that this information will help you get the help you

  2.'s on?/
  3.'s on?/