News

Dog poo collector barking up the wrong tree

Contributed by editor on Apr 09, 2006 - 09:34 AM


DOG POO COLLECTOR BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE

Hawkinge residents who use the woods off The Street and Mill Lane are intrigued as to the identity of the so called 'phantom dog poo collector'.

The pet owner who always appears to clean up after their pooch has pooped, has taken to hanging the neatly packaged offending mess o­n trees within the woods.

Residents are perplexed, but it was suggested the canine keeper may be making a silent protest at the lack of dog mess bins in the village.

The protest, which has left a nasty smell with people using the woodland, could have been in vain as twenty dog poo bins are expected to arrive very soon, hopefully before anyone else feels they have to take the business of dog poo into their own hands.


Litter pickers would do it again

Contributed by editor on Apr 08, 2006 - 08:22 PM

 

LITTER PICKERS WOULD DO IT AGAIN

Today's Hawkinge litter clean-up was heralded a big success by the organisers, and although only ten villagers turned out, over 20 sacks full of rubbish were collected.

Peter Sellars, Cllr. Susan Carey and David Godfrey

Clean-up co-ordinator Cyril Trice said: "The wet weather may have put some people off  but it soon brightened up and the volunteers were straight off to Spitfire Way, Canterbury Road, Aerodrome Road, The Street and Mill Lane to begin their task".

Parish councillors David Callahan and Kevin Avery, together with County and District councillor Susan Carey joined with the villagers to pick up the litter.

"Everyone said they would be happy to do it again and I'm planning another in the Autumn when I hope to get some Litter Pick-up Kits from Shepway council" said Cyril.


Hawkinge Parish Council agenda 12 April 2006

Contributed by editor on Apr 08, 2006 - 01:11 PM


PARISH COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held o­n Wed. 12th April 2006 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall.
 
OPEN MEETING

The Chairman will take questions from parishioners.   The number of speakers will be limited to five (time limit 3 minutes).  

A G E N D A

1            Apologies
 
2            Declarations of Interest

Councillors should disclose personal or prejudicial interest/s in any item/s o­n this agenda.  Councillors with a personal interest must describe and give details of the interest.  Unless the personal interest amounts to a prejudicial interest, he/she may participate fully in the meeting.   A prejudicial interest is o­ne in which a member of the public, with knowledge of the relevant facts, would reasonably regard as so significant that it is likely to prejudice a Councillor’s judgement of the public interest.   Anyone with a prejudicial interest must, unless an exception applies or a dispensation has been issued, withdraw from the meeting room.    Whenever possible, and if in doubt, advice should be sought from the Clerk prior to the meeting.
 
3          Minutes

To confirm and sign the minutes of the meeting held o­n 8th March 2006 (enc.)
 
4          Matters arising out of the Minutes
 
5          Reports

      (a) Community Liaison
           Cllr. Brisley to report
            Village Clean-Up Weekend 8th April – Cllr. Trice to report
      (b) Planning and Development
Planning and Building Control Parish Councils’ User Group meeting 28th March
      (c) Public Rights of Way  
 
     
6          Other Bodies

       (a) Neighbourhood Management Partnership
Cllr. Hodgson to report.
“Actions for a Better Hawkinge 2006-07â€? – councillors comments (copies received at the last meeting) 
       (b) Community Centre
       (c) Village Hall
       (d) Hawkinge Community Safety Forum
 
7          Hawkinge Football Ground

       (a) The Football Project – Cllr. Trice
       (b) Management of the ground – Cllr. Hodgson
 
8          Multi-Sport Complex – Land at Cricketers Close

Cllr. Trice to report o­n meetings with representatives of three companies that design multi-sport complexes and supply the equipment.
 
9          Finance Group

Chairman to report o­n a meeting held o­n 17th March and recommendations o­n matters referred to it by the Council.   
 
10        Finance

       (a) Clerk to report
       (b) To receive Income & Expenditure figures for 2005/06.     
       (c) Audit Commission: Notice of the Audit for the year ended 31st March 2006.
The Annual Return to be completed and returned by 12th June 2006.
       (d) Chief Executive, SDC, Distribution of KCC second homes money 2006/07   
             (letter 15th March enc.)    
       (e) Payments
            To approve payment of the accounts presented at the meeting (list enc.)
 
Any queries regarding accounts must be raised with the Clerk before the meeting.
 
11       Village Hall Car Park

           Chairman to report.
 
12        Correspondence

       (a) Hawkinge Allotment Society ‘e’ mail  (enc.) to discuss in confidential section.
       (b) Defra Getting to grips with the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act
            2005 – a PC guide to environmental enforcement (one copy has been ordered)
       (c) Environmental Health Officer, SDC re vehicles fumes in v.hall car park (enc.)
       (d) Kent Highway Services: Northern Relief Road – commencement of works (enc.)
       (e) Kent Police Authority – single strategic force (enc.)
       (f) Local Plans Manager, SDC – Local Plan Review – Adoption (enc.)
 
13       Plans

           List of applications received since the last meeting enclosed.   
Please contact Cllr. Trice if you would like to view the plans before the meeting. 
 
14        Date of Annual Parish Meeting

To confirm the meeting will be held o­n Wed. 26th April 2006 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall.    
 
15       CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS

           To resolve that because publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by
Reason of the confidential nature of business to be transacted the public (including the Press) be excluded from the meeting pursuant to the provision of sub section 100 & 102 of the Local Government Act, 1972.
 
16        Finance Group recommendations regarding:

Hawkinge Allotment Society
McMillan account
Harmer account
 
17        Sale of Leisuredrome land – Chairman to report
 
18        Total Turf Solutions: quotations from contractors (if received in time for meeting)
 
19       Any matters referred to the confidential section during the meeting


Making art fun for kids

Contributed by editor on Apr 07, 2006 - 10:15 PM


Two days of music at Port Lympne

Contributed by editor on Apr 07, 2006 - 08:17 PM

 

TWO DAYS OF PORT LYMPNE CLASSICS

Port Lympne Events would like to invite you to their newest event ‘Mansion Music at Port Lympne.’ 

Two days of classical concerts in the beautiful surroundings of the Mansion grounds. Please go to www.portlympneevents.co.uk for more details or for tickets call the Marlowe Theatre on 01227 787787 or go to www.marlowetheatre.com 

Port Lympne Events can accommodate your every need, including corporate events, team building/fun days, conferencing, outdoor events, birthday parties, private dining occasions and weddings as well as monthly events. Please contact us to discuss your requirements and to make reservations on 01303 234111.


Crown made from sugar

Contributed by editor on Apr 07, 2006 - 06:58 PM


CROWN MADE FROM SUGAR

<FONT size=3>HAWKINGE ACRISE& PADDLESWORTH WI

Weather wise the day was very strange;  I walked to the hall in bright sunshine with thoughts that spring might just be about to arrive and then went home in a snowstorm!  This did not distract from the afternoon however as it turned out to be a wonderful meeting. 

Birthday greetings were accorded to Mesdames Cripps, Pemble, Elphinstone, Ritchie and Page who were cordially invited to join me at the birthday table during our social time.  Ann Wilson then gave a very good account of the Annual Council Meeting held in the Leas Cliff Hall recently.  It was interesting to hear this as we had been unsuccessful in buying any tickets for the event but Ann had attended as our delegate.  Our thanks go to her for giving a clear and informative report. 

Then the speaker, Mrs Carter, gave us lots of ideas for feeding a vegetarian guest.  At first she quizzed us o­n our knowledge of what a vegetarian will and will not eat – that certainly tested the little grey cells - and then asked if certain items from the cupboard – such as Lea & Perrings Worcester sauce – were acceptable to them and could therefore be used in a recipe. We didn’t actually get any points for getting correct answers but Mrs Carter provided some wonderfully tasty samples of what can be provided – Lentil Chilli (delicious), a mouth watering soup, a delectable salad (with tofu!) and several interesting wraps – as a meat eater I was suitably impressed as I am sure all the ladies were. o­n the birthday table we had a veritable feast and cake as well! 

The monthly competition was for homemade biscuits and I’m pleased to report that there were some six entries: Barbara Pemble was the winner with lemon biscuits.  o­nly o­ne brave lady entered the competition for “A Crown in any Mediumâ€? which will go forward to the forthcoming Group Meeting. However, that brave lady’s entry was sublime.  A crown made from sugar, congratulations and many thanks to Hettie Quinn for a very fine entry.  Altogether a truly enjoyable WI meeting!

The next meeting will be held o­n Tuesday, 2nd May, starting at 2pm in Hawkinge village hall.  At this meeting we will be discussing the two resolutions that may be adopted by our National Executive for action in the coming year and a very entertaining “gameâ€? has been devised to keep everyone occupied (not in the least bit energetic I hasten to add!). 

Why not come along and listen or take part in the discussions and of course take part in the game.  You would be made very welcome, please contact the secretary o­n 863146 for more information.

Linda Barnes
President
 


Recycling lorries costing £850,000 to replace

Contributed by editor on Apr 07, 2006 - 11:21 AM


RECYCLING LORRIES COSTING £850,000 TO REPLACE

Shepway Council is to spend more than £850,000 replacing a new fleet of refuse lorries that had to be withdrawn for safety reasons following a problem with lifting gear which cannot be repaired.

But the withrawal of the trucks was o­nly part of the council's woes. It came after the new recycling scheme was brought in last year and the council were inundated with many thousands of phone-calls complaining of a multitude of problems, missed collections, and collections o­n the wrong days.

Shepway Council is currently hiring eight trucks for £9,000 a week until the 10 new trucks are in place. Since the original vehicles were withdrawn, this may have cost Shepway Council upwards of £200,000. 

The original trucks could not be repaired as the manufacturers have subsequently closed down.


Council taxpayers could pay for sports centre delays

Contributed by editor on Apr 07, 2006 - 10:47 AM

 

COUNCIL TAYPAYERS COULD PAY FOR SPORTS CENTRE DELAYS 

Plans to build two brand new sports centres in Folkestone and Hythe could be scrapped leaving Shepway council taxpayers to pick up the £½ million pound bill.

After years of wrangling it was thought that an agreement had finally been reached between the Council and the Trust, which has managed the Folkestone Sports Centre over the last 30 years.

 It was proposed the Council and Trust would run the new centres.

This week, Shepway Cabinet heard that delays could mean that the Government deadline may not be met and the £10m grant could be withdrawn.


Howard's Way 6 April 2006

Contributed by editor on Apr 06, 2006 - 12:07 AM

 

HOWARD'S WAY.... a weekly column from Michael Howard MP

April
6 2006<IMG height=195 hspace=10 src="images/michaelhoward3.jpg" width=130 align=right vspace=10 border=0>



Every now and again you read something in the newspapers or watch something on television which really makes you sit up and think. These are not front page stories or items which make headlines at the top of the news. But they often tell you more about the kind of society we live in than stories which get much more coverage.



Two items of this kind caught my attention last weekend.



First, I read a story which stated that blind people are being forced to buy their own white sticks because of Government cutbacks. The Royal National Institute for the Blind has carried out a survey which shows that more than three in ten people with severe vision problems have to pay for their sticks because local authorities, who have previously paid, now can’t afford them.



I have not had any complaints which lead me to suppose that this is a problem in Kent though if any constituents find themselves in this predicament I hope they will let me know. I shall certainly do all I can to help.



The second story which caught my eye was very different.



The Government had originally intended to pass a law to make lorries display fluorescent rear markings. Safety experts said this could save 80 lives a year by stopping cars from ploughing into the backs of trucks.



But Transport Secretary Alistair Darling has ordered a u-turn, apparently on the grounds that Britain had to wait until a Europe-wide law is introduced in 5 years time.



Yet Italy has passed a similar law and no action has been taken by the European Commission to challenge them. So there appears to be no good reason why this measure can’t be introduced.



Yet Labour MPs were instructed to vote the change down during proceedings on the Transport Bill.



Two stories which made me angry and which, I suspect will make you angry too.



Two stories which tell us quite a lot about the state of Britain today.


Plans for port expansion

Contributed by editor on Apr 05, 2006 - 03:12 PM


PLANS FOR PORT EXPANSION

Four new berths and a new marina are planned for Dover in a major re-development of the Western Docks.

Leading consultants are drawing up a long-term strategy for the port and have confirmed the Eastern Docks Ferry Terminal is reaching full capacity with no room for additional berths and little scope for further expansion.

With the main A20 port access road through the town under strain from record levels of freight traffic, the Board says the Western Docks offers a part solution to the town’s road congestion and sufficient ferry capacity for the next few decades.

The Board is already consulting with government and other agencies to create a “buffer zone� to assemble freight vehicles off the A20 between Folkestone and Dover and manage the flow rates through the town and within the port.

“The port must respond positively and act decisively to ensure it has capacity and facilities to meet growing traffic flows and to do it in a way which minimises the impact o­n the town of Dover,â€? says Chief Executive Bob Goldfield.

“With the support of government and other agencies, and the local community, we can build a second ferry terminal and create a system to control the flow of lorry traffic passing through the town and port. It’s a win win opportunity for the town and for the port and we need to push ahead with both initiatives.�