Hawkinge Parish Council minutes of meeting 8 December 2004

Contributed by editor on Jan 15, 2005 - 05:09 PM

Minutes of the meeting of HAWKINGE PARISH COUNCIL held on 8th December 2004 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall

Present: Cllr. Callahan (Chairman)

Cllrs. Ms Brisley, Heasman, Hodgson, Hogben, Mrs Newton, Punnett,

Smith and Trice

In attendance: Mrs Hardy (Clerk)

Apologies: Cllr. Smith for late arrival


Mr Ian Norman (Community Warden) reported the crimes committed in Hawkinge over the last month and action taken by the Police. Crime figures had fallen which indicated that Dispersal Orders were having the desired effect.

The Chairman congratulated Cllr. Trice on receiving an Enterprise and Training award for Excellence 2004. The award acknowledged his work as co-ordinator over the last two years in promoting the value of Family Learning within the Hawkinge community, working with the schools and putting on events at other venues, as well as giving talks on the subject. The Director of the Kent Learning Partnerships presented the award to Cllr. Trice on 22nd November.


30/04 Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 10th November 2004 were approved and signed subject to the following amendment (prop. Cllr. Hodgson, sec. Cllr. Heasman)

Min. 26/04 (c) Hawkinge Community Newsletter: delete first sentence insert

“Cllr. Trice suggested various ways of handling the production of the publication. He pointed out that there was sufficient income from advertisements to cover the cost of printing.�

31/04 Declarations of Interest

Cllrs. Callahan and Smith declared an interest in planning matters (members of Development Control Committee SDC) they reserved the right to make a decision at District level when they are in possession of all the facts relating to an application. Cllr.Callahan also declared a prejudicial interest in planning application Y04/1534/SH (owner of property adjacent to The Gables) 

Cllr. Heasman declared an interest in the Community Centre (Trustee)

Cllrs. Brisley and Heasman declared an interest in Hawkinge Village Hall (Charity Trustees)

Cllr. Punnett declared an interest in an item on the agenda concerning the village hall (owner of the adjacent property 85 Canterbury Road)

Cllrs. Trice and Hodgson declared an interest in the Football Project (founder members of Hawkinge Football Club). 

32/04 Matters arising out of the Minutes

(a) Churchill School [min.23/04 (d)]

The Highway Unit, SDC, has put forward a bid to KCC for funding to introduce school zig zag markings outside the entrance to the school (3.12.04). It will not know if the submission has been successful until March 2005. If it is successful the traffic order will take between 6 – 8 months to complete. The PC will be notified and consulted.

(b) Cowgate Lane 30 mph limit sign

The Traffic Engineer, Highway Unit, SDC, advised that there are certain criteria to be met in terms of traffic speeds and housing development (7.12.04). He considered that there would be no additional benefit to relocating the speed limit and the cost of such work would be prohibitive in terms of obtaining funding for the works. The Highway Unit will not be pursuing the matter any further at this time, but they will monitor the situation. 

33/04 Planning Applications

Cllr. Newton, Vice-Chairman, took the chair for this item on the agenda.

Cllr. Callahan declared an interest in planning application Y04/1534/SH and withdrew from the meeting.

The following applications had been considered by the Planning Group and comments sent:

Y04/1458/SH 4 Osprey Court: erection of a rear conservatory: No objections

Y04/1510/SH 10 Proctor Walk: erection of a rear conservatory: No objections

Y04/1569/SH 107 Canterbury Road (Tesco Stores): display of fascia sign to front elevation part internal and part externally illuminated and one non-illuminated projecting sign (re-submission of Y04/0707/SH). No objections

Y04/1592/SH St. Radigunds House, Stombers Lane: replacement agricultural building. No objections

The actions of the Planning Group were approved

Applications considered at the meeting:

Y04/1534/SH The Gables, Coombe Wood Lane: erection of an annexe to provide accommodation for elderly relative. Comment: the plan does not indicate the position of the annexe to main building. This information is required before objective comments can be made. 

No further information had been received so the plan was not discussed.

Y04/1545/SH Land at 140 Canterbury Road: outline application for the erection of 4 No detached dwellings and garages together with associated parking

The Vice-Chairman opened the meeting to the public so that the applicant and residents of The Street and Oak Drive could address the Council.

The Council’s comments sent to SDC were as follows. The views expressed by speakers at the meeting and letters received prior to the meeting were taken into consideration. 

Objection on the following grounds:

1. The Council is opposed to back land development in the village

2. The proposed access off the A260 at this point would cause a hazard to traffic on the main road

3. The building of houses on higher ground behind The Street and Oak Drive would cause loss of privacy and increase noise pollution.

Votes: For 4 Against 0 Abstentions 3

KCC SH/04/TEMP Hope Farm, Crete Road East: to amend conditions 2 & 10 of previous planning permission reference SH/03/62 to concrete the existing tarmac parking area (condition 2) and to vary the volume of green waste received (condition 10). No comment.

At this point Cllr. Smith joined the meeting

34/04 Reports – Working Groups

(a) Community Liaison

Cllr. Brisley was concerned that the Post Office situated in the Community Centre was not being used enough by residents; there were rumours that it might close. She thought signs to the PO could be improved.

(b) Public Rights of Way

Cllr. Punnett thought that the Police would support the Council’s efforts to get the footpath next to the shops marked out. Clerk to write to the Superintendent.

(c) Sports and Ground Maintenance/Football Project 

Cllr. Hodgson said the Project Group is still waiting to receive estimates from Mr McMillan for the construction of the car park. 

The problem of dog fouling on the pitches was raised again. The Clerk was waiting to hear from the Community Warden, SDC. 

(NB The Community Warden rang the following day; she will patrol the area and put notices up)

(d) Finance Group

(i) The Chairman reported that councillors serving on the Finance Group and Sports & Ground Maintenance/Football Project Group met on 26th November to consider the income and expenditure, running costs and construction of the car park and pavilion before the Council finalised the budget for 2005/06. 

Cllr. Hodgson had identified the running costs and Cllr. Trice gave an update on the timetable he had prepared for the whole project. It was decided to separate the management of the ground and the Football Project in future.

The use of the football ground was discussed and it was decided that clubs must apply for permission to use the ground, and a notice board should be erected stating that the ground is the property of HPC, no unauthorised use is allowed and for permission to use the ground people must apply to the Clerk. 

The Council approved the wording for the notice board.

(ii) The Council received a letter from Cyril Trice, Secretary of Hawkinge Football Club (24th November). He stated that the senior team had been playing their home game on Sunday morning on the PC football ground. It was now trying to build up the youth side and they asked for permission to use the ground for youngsters between the age of 6 to 16 years on Saturday mornings between 9 am and 12 noon for training practice. A Class 2 qualified coach will be in attendance and a copy of the Club’s insurance cover with KACF was enclosed.

It was Resolved that the Hawkinge Football Club be granted permission to use the ground on Saturday mornings for training practice for youngsters. (prop. Cllr. Callahan, sec. Cllr. Newton) Votes: For 4 Against 1 Abstentions 4 Motion carried 

35/04 Other Bodies

(a) Hawkinge Community Centre

Cllr. Hodgson reported that he had received advice from Kingsfords regarding his signature on a document to enable the CC to obtain a bank loan. He had now signed the document. The fact that he has been appointed to serve as a Trustee of the Community Centre Trust by virtue of his existing appointment as a Parish Councillor, does not mean that the Parish Council is liable in the event of default. 

(b) Hawkinge Village Hall

Cllr. Brisley reported that various repairs were being undertaken.

(c) The Churchill School and Hawkinge Primary School

Both schools were busy with Christmas carol concerts and fund raising events.

At this point Cllr. Trice left the meeting

(d) KAPC, Shepway Area Committee

Cllr. Hodgson had attended the KAPC 57th AGM at Ditton Community Centre on 13th November. Elizabeth Barber (Information Management Co-ordinator, KCC) had talked about the “Freedom of Information Act� and new legislation regarding public access to documents.

At this point Cllr. Newton left the meeting

36/04 Spitfire Leisuredrome - Lease

The Chairman reported that Mr Patrick Lawrence, Chairman of the Trustees, Hawkinge Youth & Community Sports Council, had telephoned him that day. He had asked to have an informal chat about a couple of items in the Lease. Cllr. Callahan confirmed that the Lease would come to a full Council meeting for approval before it is signed.

37/04 Hawkinge Village Hall (min.5/04)

The Chairman reminded councillors that the Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee had asked him to sign documentation for the sale of part of the village hall land to the Electricity Board to enable them to build a sub station that would be located on the Canterbury Road frontage adjacent to 85 Canterbury Road. The VHMC had not reported at any Council meeting that negotiations were taking place to sell land to the Electricity Board and the Clerk had no knowledge of it. SDC had constructed a footpath/cycleway that at the present time ends abruptly at the village hall boundary on Haven Drive. If the sub station were to be erected on the proposed site it would mean that the shortest route to complete the footpath/cycleway between Haven Drive and Canterbury Road would be obstructed. 

Cllr. Callahan had met the Chairman and Secretary of the VHMC and listened to their views. He reported that Kingsfords had advised the PC that it has the right to refuse to sign the form TP1. The PC as owner of the land may sell part of it provided it complies with the restrictions imposed by the Charities Act 1993 (letter dated 6th December 2004).

The Chairman asked members to put the issue of the footpath out of their minds and to consider whether it was in the best interest of the whole village to agree to sell that particular plot of land to the Electricity Board for a sub station.

It was accepted that the Hawkinge Primary School needed the electricity supply to the school boosted, but Councillors thought that a more suitable site could be found.

It was Resolved that the Parish Council refuse to sign documentation that would allow the Electricity Board to build a sub station on the village hall car park because it is an unsuitable location and it would not be in the village interest. 

(prop. Cllr. Hogben, sec. Cllr. Smith) Votes: For 4 Against 0 Abstentions 0

Cllrs. Brisley, Heasman and Punnett withdrew from the meeting for this item

At this point Cllr. Hodgson left the meeting

38/04 Finance

(a) The Clerk said in order to comply with statutory legislation she must ask

Mr Preston, Internal Auditor, to carry out an interim audit of the books.

(b) Precept 2005/06

The Council received a revised budget prepared by the Finance Group that

proposed a precept of £30,000. The estimated expenditure was discussed. 

It was Resolved that Hawkinge Parish Council advise Shepway District Council that the precept for 2005/06 will be £30,000.

(prop. Cllr. Heasman, sec. Cllr. Punnett) Votes: all in favour

(c) Christmas Concert

The Chairman proposed a vote of thanks to Cllr. Heasman for organising the concert. He said it was an excellent afternoon. The Hythe Town Concert Band played and the school children gave performances that were enjoyed by everyone. The acoustics in the hall are excellent. Cllr. Smith seconded the vote of thanks.

Cllr. Heasman thanked Cllr. Smith for attending in his official capacity as Chairman of Shepway District Council.

(d) Victim Support S.E.Kent

The Council received a request for a donation to help the charity continue its valuable work in the locality. 

It was Resolved that a donation of £50 be given to Victim Support, S.E.Kent.

(prop. Cllr. Heasman, sec. Cllr. Smith) Votes: all in favour

(e) Accounts

It was Resolved that the following accounts be approved for payment.

(prop. Cllr. Heasman, sec. Cllr. Callahan) Votes: all in favour


A.P.Willcox (Printers)



Clerk's salary






NatWest EBS



Kent County Council (KCS)



J.L.Heasman (reimbursement)



39/04 Correspondence

(a) Mr Young, Head of Environment & Street Scene, SDC: Green Waste Collection

Service (19th Nov.) The service will continue until further notice pending the introduction of the new waste management service in 2005. The Council will not be issuing new calendars to customers but information is available on the website, in the local press and from Customer Services Team on 01303 858660. Noted.

(b) Action with Communities in Rural Kent (KRCC) Annual Report 2003/04


The meeting closed at 10.15 pm

Latest local crime 27/12/04 - 9/1/05

Contributed by editor on Jan 14, 2005 - 11:00 PM

COUNTRY EYE - NEIGBOURHOOD WATCH Crime Sheet 27/12/04 to 9/1/05


Between 0330hrs & 0336hrs 01/01/04

Interference with Motor Vehicle




Between 0001hrs 0300hrs 01/01/05



IP was at Public house with her boyfriend and had placed her handbag on the chair beside her. IP discovered at around 0300hrs that her purse and her mobile phone had been stolen. Search of the area made but nothing found.


At 0130hrs 29/12/04

Possession of Cannabis


Police were called to Mayfield Road in response from a member of public who had seen three people acting suspiciously inside a vehicle. Upon police arrival three peoples were found inside the vehicle and as officers approached a small of cannabis was hanging in the air. Section 23 searched was conducted on all three persons and a small amount of cannabis resin was found on offender who admitted to owning the resin he knew it was an offence to be in possession of it, he stated it was for his use and admitted to having smoked a joint within a sort space of time before police arrival. 


Between 0730hrs 28/12/04 & 0815hrs 29/12/04

Burglary Other


Ip reporting that 2 x outbuildings have been entered. There have also been attempts made on 2 x further buildings.This morning at approx 08.15 he found that forcing the bottom panels of 2 x stable type doors, to 2 x buildings, had made entry. There are also tool marks to padlocks on 2 x other buildings but entry has not been made to these.There are vehicle track marks on the grass where a vehicle has driven across rather that reverse on the drive. Property taken includes chainsaw, strimmers & safety equipment (helmet, visors & earphones)


Between 1600hrs 03/01/05 & 0815hrs 04/01/05

Theft from Motor Vehicle


The vehicle was parked in the road very near to the IP's HA at approx 1600 last evening. When she went out this morning the vehicles driver's side door has been levered back from the frame and access has been gained to the vehicle. The glove compartment has been gone through.


Between 1515hrs 06/01/05 & 0013hrs 07/01/04



Resident was looking out of the window and saw two youths, males ages 16 to 18, one wearing a hoodie leaning over the motorcycle, the resident called out to the youths and when they saw him they pushed the bike over and made off The resident then told the Ip what had happened. The Ip phoned police and then inspected the bike, which has sustained damage to the mirror and handlebars, which are both bent, possibly due to being pushed over.


Between 0045hrs & 1045hrs 10/01/05



Front windscreen smashed. No entry gained and no attempt to gain entry. Alarm did not go off. No other cars damaged.


Between 0001hrs & 0600hrs 04/01/04

Theft from Motor Vehicle


The Informant has telephoned to advise that around 16 of the company trailers have been broken into between the dates/times shown above. Some of the trailers were attached to the cabs. The industrial estate is open plan and there was nothing to stop the offenders gaining access to the area and then subsequently slashing the side curtains to the trailers. Once inside a tidy selective search has been conducted of the trailers.


Between 1900hrs 06/01/04 & 1700hrs 07/01/05



Informant states that whilst vehicle has been parked on the road A20 on a lay-by between times unknown persons have smashed the passenger side window. It appears that no search has been made of the inside and no items have been taken.


Between 1900hrs 03/01/05 & 2100hrs 07/01/05

Attempted Burglary


Ip left premises at time stated and returned 5 days later to find the patio door to the conservatory which is to the rear of the house, was half open and a single glazed pane in the back door was smashed. No entry had been gained to the main part of the building. The conservatory had many boot prints on the floor and the IP can say that a bottle of wine had been removed from a rack in the conservatory and she assumed that it was that that was used to smash the window.


Between 2200hrs 03/01/05 & 0530hrs 04/01/04



IP who confirms that on the evening of the 05/01 2 holes were made in the rear glass windows of the van. After further observation the Ip has realised that a large pebble is in the back of the van, which wasn't there previously which he believes could be the implement used to create the damage.


Between 1700hrs 09/01/05 & 0830hrs 10/01/05



Ip states that between 1700hrs yesterday and 0830hrs today 10/01/2005 someone has damaged the Ip’s shop cracking a window and cracking the glass In the door. 

If you have any information in relation to any crime. Please contact the Watch Office on 01304 218151 or ring
Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 You do not have to give your name and you maybe eligible for a reward.

To Report suspicious incidents and problems you cannot resolve yourself 01303 850055


To report crime that has happened to you and the offenders have gone 01303 289134
If you would like to help with Neighbourhood Watch or would like to know more about what is involved, you can contact the Neighbourhood Watch & Parish Liaison Office at Dover Police Station on 01304 21815 Neighbourhood Watch Neighbourhood Watch

Folkestone Camera Club meeting 10 January 2005

Contributed by editor on Jan 14, 2005 - 10:50 PM


It is with great sadness that we report the loss of Pat Bailey, a well loved and devoted member and friend of Folkestone Camera Club.

Pat, along with her husband Arthur, has been a member for over 40 years, and was Secretary for about 20 of them. She always strongly supported the club in every way, helping to organise outings both for our club and the Kent County Photographic Association, helping with Exhibitions, the Audio Visual Festivals, the Middleburg Twinning Exchanges and with the catering for various functions held over the years., including our 50th Anniversary Celebrations a few years ago.

She provided us with our refreshments every week and everyone always looked forward to her cakes, even our judges and lecturers,

She will be very sadly missed and our sincere condolences go out to Arthur and all their family.

At a recent meeting we held our 3rd Slide competition of the season which was judged by Mrs Bea Auger DPAGB, a very experienced photographer, who gave us a very informative evening with her hints on how we could improve our photography and her results (out of 20) were:-

Monochrome:- ‘Great Court, British Museum’ David Hughes 20(12 entries) ‘Winch’ Dave Turner 19

Novice:- ‘It’s Going to Rain’ Andrew Finnis 20(7 entries) ‘Waiting for the Tide’ Andrew Finnis 19

Intermediate:- ‘Water Gate’ Bill Grudgings 20(10 entries) ‘Elter Water’ Bill Grudgings 19

Advanced:- ‘Oops’ Robert Brisley LRPS 20(21 entries) ‘Puffin Pair’ David Hughes 19

Medium Format:- ‘Sasha 2’ Victor Fowler 20(2 entries) ‘Who’s That’ Victor Fowler 18

A Battle with Gateway Camera Club is on 24th January and the following week a recorded exhibition of the PAGB Inter-Federation Slides will be shown. This is a firm favourite of our members; excellent slides on a variety of subjects, by photographers all over the U.K. 

On the 2nd February our monthly Practical Evening will be held, where members can practice with the clubs studio lighting.

Visit our website where you can view these winning photographs, plus many more, and where you can also visit links to various photographic related sites and shops.

Meetings are held at the United Reform Community Hall, Castle Hill Avenue, Folkestone on Mondays at 7.45pm. New members are always welcome, if interested please phone Mrs Jenny Barraclough (Press Officer) 01303 245399 or e mail:

Community Centre answers criticism

Contributed by editor on Jan 13, 2005 - 11:54 PM


The Hawkinge Community Centre has issued a press statement regarding the events on 20 December 2004.


On the evening of December 2004 an incident arose at the Hawkinge Community Centre, whereby one of the clubs using the facilities failed to comply with the agreed terms of hiring and failed to vacate the premises in a timely fashion. 

To date in order to keep access costs to an absolute minimum we work together with Club Organisers to share the supervision role, however in this case the member of the Community Centre staff was unsupported with over 50 club visitors left throughout the Centre. 

In order to re-establish control of the premses be acted in accordance with his duties and secured the building 45 minutes beyond the allotted time. As a result an unfortunate incident occurred which resulted in a number of third parties being inconvenienced for which the Trustees of the Centre reaffirm the Management apologies, and had made access to the Centre available first thing the next day for the recovery of equipment that still remained within the building.

The Trustees unreservedly, but regretfully must place the well being of users, staff and the security of the building and its contents above all else and uphold the action taken by the members of staff and as a Charitable trust we ensure that we uphold the principles and objectives of the Centre to the benefit of all residents."

On behalf of the Trustees of the Hawkinge Community Centre.

Community Centre billed for locked up photo gear

Contributed by editor on Jan 13, 2005 - 10:05 PM


Dover based freelance photographer Phil Medgett is to bill the Hawkinge Community Centre after he was refused entry to remove his lighting equipment.

Two sets of lights worth £5000 were held in the centre overnight and one of the professional lighting sets could be seen from outside the hall.

The incident occurred at the end of the Franze Academy Christmas Concert (20 December) for which Phil was employed to set up a mobile studio and photograph the youngsters.

At the end of the evening Mr Medgett said he had taken his camera equipment to his car and returned to the hall.

When he returned he said: "The hall was locked so I rang the bell".

"The man looking after the hall asked what I wanted and I told him that I wanted the rest of my lighting.

"He told me I couldn't have it as Frances had not paid her bill.

"I pointed out that this was nothing to do with me as I was working as a freelance photographer"

Phil had to leave the Community Centre without his tools of the trade and was forced to cancel a job he had booked the next day as he needed his lighting equipment for the assignment.

He will be billing the Community Centre for £100 over the incident.

Click to read Phil Medget's letter of complaint to the Hawkinge Community Centre

Community Centre complaint

Contributed by editor on Jan 13, 2005 - 10:00 PM


Dear Sirs,

It is with some regret that I have to write you this letter.

I was the photographer at your community centre on the 20th of December 2004.

I was asked by Frances Metcalfe (Franz Academy) to take pictures of any interested persons during the evening. I was shown to a room and set up a mobile studio and that is where I worked all evening.

At the end of that busy evening I broke the studio down and prepared to leave.

Taking all the cameras with me, and as I left I mentioned to the man who unlocked the door to let me out that it would take a few trips to the car but that I would be as quick as I could, to which he replied, take as long as you like, and I thanked him.

Returning from the car to the hall the doors were locked so I rang the bell and after a while your man appeared at the door and asked me what I wanted and I told him that I wanted the rest of my lighting, his reply was that I couldn’t have any of it because Frances hadn’t paid her bill.

I pointed out that this was nothing to do with me and that he should take this matter up with her.

I spoke to your man at length trying to find the middle ground so that I could get my lighting back but to no avail.

This whole sorry incident seemed to hinge on a payment asked for on the night by your man to Frances, and that there should have been a charge for the Heritage room of sixty pounds, but this was then changed to twenty pounds payment in cash (no questions asked). Frances refused to pay.

To cut this long sorry episode short I offered to pay the twenty pounds to your man so that I could retrieve my lighting but he said it was too late.

I did involve the police who told me that it was a civil matter and they couldn’t attend to mediate for that reason, although as your man left to go home by taxi I did pass him my phone and he did speak to the police but showed no interest in what was being said to him and passed me back the phone.

I watched your man leave in the taxi, Frances left soon afterwards, and I left at around 1.30am and this incident started at 11.45pm

The last thing that I did before leaving was to photograph what was left of my lighting in the room that I had been working in, as I had seen your man remove four of my lights from that room for a reason known only to him.

What I find strange is why would he move some of the lights and not the other three?

Why would he come back to the Community Centre in the morning after 1.30am and move the rest of it?

And why would he take the two least expensive items and lock them in a cupboard?

I would find this strange to say the least.

Needless to say I am not happy with what happened that night/morning, and certainly less happy to be told that nobody had confiscated my lighting.

What I know is that I left Hawkinge Community Centre minus my lighting, your man gone ,and the Centre locked up.

Who told your man that he could act in this way? 

He kept telling me that each person that he had spoken to on the phone that evening told him to lock the Centre and to keep all possessions left until Frances had paid her bill, and yet I was told the next morning that he hadn’t spoken to anyone on the phone that night, and yet as I saw he was on the phone rather often to somebody.

You will in due course receive a bill from me for the confiscation of my lighting and the fact that while your man was at work (doing his proper job as he called it) I was at your Community Centre collecting my lighting and not working as I should have been.

I have never encountered an incident of this kind and don’t wish to again, and I would strongly suggest that you look very carefully at who you leave in charge of the paying people who hold their functions at your venue in the future.


Phil Medgett.

Peter calls for action on drunken behaviour

Contributed by editor on Jan 13, 2005 - 06:08 PM


Following the BBC documentary about local police dealing with drunken behaviour shown on Monday evening(10 January), Lib Dem campaigner Peter Carroll has added his voice to calls for action

Peter said, 'I had a night out on patrol with the Police some months ago and saw that kind of behaviour first hand. The Police handle it very well under the circumstances but they shouldn't have to face that level of abuse and people in Folkestone should have the right to walk through their town centre without having to run the gauntlet of that kind of behaviour'.

Peter said, 'The night time economy might make money out of selling drink in the way featured, but it must miss out on the revenue that could be made from law abiding people being frightened away'.

Peter believes: " Being drunk and disorderly, abusing a Police Officer and violence whilst drunk should be treated more severely - £50 fines are not a deterrent.

" The licence trade and drinks industry should have to pay a tax towards Policing town centres to fund more Police officers. Football clubs have to help pay for Policing their games. The drinks industry is making big profits out of this industry.

" Many of the people I saw in that film were definitely underage because I know them and their families. This should be ruthlessly cracked down on.

" Special 'mega deals' should not be allowed - like all you can drink for £10.00

" In the long term, schools will have to have more emphasis on educating people from an early age."

Peter continued; "People in Folkestone should have the right to walk through their town in the evening without worrying about being abused, intimidated or frightened."

"I am also aware in Folkestone that drunkenness often leads to violent assault with racial overtones on many staff who work in fast food outlets."

Young dancers kicked out of Community Centre

Contributed by editor on Jan 12, 2005 - 11:36 PM


A children’s modelling and dance academy, which held classes at Hawkinge Community Centre, has been told it is no longer welcome after the Principal complained about the behaviour of a member of staff there.

It follows an alleged incident at the academy’s Christmas show held at the Community Centre on the evening of December 20th, 2004.

Frances Metcalfe, who runs the Franze Academy of Modelling and Commercial Jazz, said: “I was put in a position where I had to complain about the behaviour of a member of staff.

“I had a meeting with the management and was told to put my complaint in writing and that an investigation would be held.

“On December 29th I received a letter informing me that there had been a thorough investigation into my complaint and that we were no longer able to use the Community Centre, with immediate effect.

“At this stage they had not even received my written complaint.�

Bewildered by this response Mrs Metcalfe contacted the Chairman of the centre’s Board of Trustees, John Heasman, who claimed to have no knowledge of either the alleged incident or the letter informing her she was no longer able to hold classes there.

She took her fight to last night’s (Wednesday) meeting of the Parish Council where she demanded to know whether or not there is an official complaints procedure in place at the Community Centre and asked for their definition of “a thorough investigation�.

She told members of the Parish Council, including John Heasman and George Hodgson who are both on the Board of Trustees at the Community Centre: “To my mind this was a well-run show.

“I was the compere and had a Kent County Council licensed chaperone taking care of the children backstage as well as parents helping out.�

Cllr Heasman said she was welcome to hold her classes in the Village Hall in future if she wished.

Cllr Hodgson said that the Trustees were in the process of preparing a statement regarding the matter.

Tunnel closures will hit local commuters

Contributed by editor on Jan 12, 2005 - 12:20 PM


Commuters travelling between Folkestone and Dover are facing months of disruption because of repairs to the railway tunnels, between the two towns.

Work on the 160 year old Shakespeare, Abbotscliffe and Martello tunnels, is due to begin on 30 April and will last for four months.

Buses are expected to replace trains while work progresses on the £10million project, and rail travellers will need to add extra time to their journeys.

Academy plans approved

Contributed by editor on Jan 12, 2005 - 10:40 AM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TD width="93%" height=2>


Shepway District Council last night (11 January), approved plans to build a new 'super school' o­n land adjacent to the Channel School in Folkestone.

The recommendations will now be passed to Kent County Council for final approval.

The Folkestone Academy would be a new state school with a centre of excellence for the creative arts, European culture and languages.

<TD width="7%" height=2><A class=pn-normal href=""><IMG alt=News hspace=5 src="" align=left vspace=5 border=0> <TD colSpan=2 height=2>