News

The sun sets on Hawkinge

Contributed by editor on Nov 07, 2004 - 04:39 PM


THE SUN SETS ON HAWKINGE

Rising Sun 8  v Hawkinge 1   ( Premier Cup )

By Cyril Trice

With Hawkinge playing this Cup match away at Whitstable they soon found out what the seaside team had in store for them.

The first goal scored against them after 7 minutes of play from a corner kick, with another 3 to follow in the first half it became apparent it would be an uphill struggle.

They did not fare much better in the second half with another 4 goals finding the back of the Hawkinge net.

However, they never gave up the fight and managed to score a  consolation goal.

Although the play went from end to end it was poor defending that let Hawkinge down in the end,  and the home team was able to put away their chances with some easy goals.


Hawkinge Parish Council Agenda 10 November 2004

Contributed by editor on Nov 06, 2004 - 05:06 PM


PARISH COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA 10 NOVEMBER 2004

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held o­n Wed. 10th November 2004 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

                                      OPEN MEETING

The Chairman will take questions from parishioners.   The number of speakers will be limited to five (time limit 3 minutes).  

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Mr Ian Norman (Community Warden) to give a report.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">A G E N D A

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">1            Apologies

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">2          Minutes

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">To confirm and sign the minutes of the meeting held o­n 13th October 2004

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">
 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">3            Declarations of Interest

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Councillors should disclose personal or prejudicial interest/s in any item/s o­n this agenda.  Councillors with a personal interest must describe and give details of the interest.  Unless the personal interest amounts to a prejudicial interest, he/she may participate fully in the meeting.   A prejudicial interest is o­ne in which a member of the public, with knowledge of the relevant facts, would reasonably regard as so significant that it is likely to prejudice a Councillor’s judgement of the public interest.   Anyone with a prejudicial interest must, unless an exception applies or a dispensation has been issued, withdraw from the meeting room.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Whenever possible, and if in doubt, advice should be sought from the Clerk prior to the meeting.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">4          Matters arising out of the Minutes

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (a) Hawkinge Village Hall (min.5/04) Chairman to report     

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (b) Cars Parking o­n Football Ground (min.13/04)

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">             Cllr. Hodgson to report

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (c) Appearance of the Village (min. 14/04) Councillors to bring their suggestions for inclusion in a village appraisal to the meeting.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">        (d) Flower Tub Maintenance – reply from Parks & Recreation Manager, SDC

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">5          Reports – Working Groups

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Community Liaison

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Planning and Development

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Sports and Ground Maintenance/Football Project

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Public Rights of Way

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Finance

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">6          Other Bodies

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Hawkinge Community Centre

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Hawkinge Village Hall

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Hawkinge Neighbourhood Management Partnership

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Churchill School – Board of Governors

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Hawkinge Primary School – Board of Governors

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">KAPC, Shepway Area Committee

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">7          Spitfire Leisuredrome

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            Hawkinge Youth & Community Sports Council - Lease

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Chairman to report.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">8                     Correspondence

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (a) Shepway District Council

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            (i) Licensing Manager, Planning Environmental Health & Building Control 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Services – consultation document o­n new draft Licensing Policy (enc.)

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">(ii) Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership: Summary Audit 2004 – public consultation brochure

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">(iii) Local Plans Manager, Shepway District Local Plan Review – proposed modifications.   Addition to Housing Allocation, Hawkinge (enc.)

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (b) BTCV - letter of thanks for PC’s donation to the Kent Tree Warden Scheme

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (c) KAPC Annual Report for 2003/04

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">       (d) Kent Downs AONB – Annual Review 2003/04

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">9        Finance

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">      (a) To receive a draft budget for 2005/06 and recommendations from the Finance

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            Group.   The precept will need to be fixed at December meeting.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">      (b) Hawkinge Community Newsletter – Cllr. Trice to report

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">      (c) To approve payment of the accounts presented at the meeting (list enclosed)

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            Any queries regarding accounts must be raised with the Clerk before the meeting.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">10        Plans

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            List of plans received since the last meeting enclosed

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">           

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">11       CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">           To resolve that because publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Reason of the confidential nature of business to be transacted the public (including the Press) be excluded from the meeting pursuant to the provision of sub section 100 & 102 of the Local Government Act, 1972.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">12        Sale of strip of land at the Leisuredrome (min.18/04)

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">Chairman to report.

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in"> 

<P class=MsoHeader style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: .5in center 3.0in right 6.0in">            Any other items referred to the confidential section during the meeting.


Customs workers strike over jobs

Contributed by editor on Nov 05, 2004 - 10:42 PM


CUSTOMS WORKERS STRIKE OVER JOBS  
 
Hundreds of Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) members working for Customs and Excise at Dover staged a 24 hour walkout today (5 November) as part of a national dispute over job cuts.

The government plans to cut over 100,000 civil service jobs with 20,000 due to be lost in the South East.

Thousands of civil servants were involved in the walkout which is believed to be the biggest industrial action in the civil service since 1993.

Customs and Excise contingency plans were implemented and services were still available for the public.

Union leaders claimed  support for the strike had been overwhelming.


KCC partnership eases Shepway budget

Contributed by editor on Nov 05, 2004 - 10:27 PM


KCC PARTNERSHIP EASES SHEPWAY BUDGET

The partnership between Shepway District Council and Kent County Council, formed to help ease the burden o­n Shepway’s budget, has enjoyed a successful first three months.

Since 1 August KCC has taken over street cleansing and some grounds maintenance duties from Shepway and its own in-house trading company provides various supplies and services.

The arrangement, which saw the transfer of around 100 staff to KCC, will bring savings to Shepway of around £300,000 in the current financial year and £600,000 in 2005/006.

Earlier in the year, Folkestone and Hythe MP, Michael Howard, met with KCC and Shepway when the district council faced major budget cuts after its spending was ‘capped’ by the government.

“The meeting resulted in a joint proposal for closer partnership working for the benefit of Shepway residents,� said Cllr Robert Bliss, Leader of Shepway Council. “The partnership means that we have been able to realise major savings without cutting our frontline services.�

Nick Chard said Shepway had faced dire financial consequences after its spending was capped. “We put forward options that we believed would help Shepway. The savings have eased some of the pressure o­n the budget and have safeguarded services that might have otherwise been under threat.â€?


Chamber hosts Youth Forum debate

Contributed by editor on Nov 05, 2004 - 10:22 PM

<P class=pressheading>
CHAMBER HOSTS YOUTH FORUM DEBATE

<IMG height=278 alt="" hspace=5 src="images/youth-forum-1.jpg" width=209 align=left>The newly-formed Shepway Youth Forum will be consulted when Shepway Council discusses policies affecting young people.

The agreement was unanimously supported following a meeting between members of the forum and 14 local councillors when the two groups met in the council chamber recently.

The Councillors to Young People event was held as part of Local Democracy Week (18 – 24 October). It was the first major event for the forum, which is planning an official launch party in the New Year.

Tamasin Jarrett, Shepway Council’s Youth Engagement Officer who organised the meeting, said the aim had been to try and develop an understanding between councillors and young people, to look at ways of securing more positive publicity for young people and the raise the profile of the forum.

“We started by playing a game of human bingo – which gave everyone the chance to get to know each other. We then went o­n to talk about local democracy and press relations and followed this up with a very lively question and answer session. The meeting ended with an agreement that councillors and young people should meet regularly - perhaps four times a year - and that the forum should be consulted when the council is formulating policies that affect young people.â€?

Tamasin said o­ne of the key debates between the two sides had been about young people having nothing to do.

<IMG height=238 alt="" src="images/youth-forum-2.jpg" width=318 align=right>“Councillors asked why was there a perception that young people were always complaining of having nothing to do and being bored when there were more opportunities and facilities now than there had ever been,� she said.

“Young people responded that, despite the existence of skateboard parks and multi-cinema complexes, these were often expensive to use and, particularly in the case of cinemas, often located out of town and difficult and costly to reach by public transport.

“There was also the misconception that young people “hung aroundâ€? in groups o­n street corners because they had nothing better to do. In fact, the young people said they have always socialised in this way because it was what they wanted to do - although there seemed to be less tolerance from older people now.

“Members of the forum said facilities for young people did not need to be elaborate but simply offer a safe place to meet and socialise with friends. Their main question centred o­n what the council was doing to provide these facilities.â€?


Crime Sheet 25/10/04 to 31/10/04

Contributed by editor on Nov 04, 2004 - 09:38 PM


COUNTRY EYE  & NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH Crime Sheet 25/10/04 to 31/10/04

<FONT color=navy>26/10/04
Between 1830hrs & 2200hrs 26/10/04
Theft
FRONT GARDEN HERON FORSTAL AVENUE HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

IP has come home from work and the 8 solar lights were still in the front garden. o­n looking out just now IP has seen 5 of the lights are missing and o­nly the 3 remain nearest to the house

<FONT color=navy>28/10/04
Between 0645hrs 27/10/04 & 0850hrs 28/10/04
Damage
ELVINGTON LANE HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

IP has found the front bedroom window broken, and stone lying o­n the ground outside.

<FONT color=navy>28/10/04
At 2155hrs 28/10/04
SECTION 5 WORDS / BEHAVIOUR - HARASSMENT ALARM DISTRESS
CANTERBURY ROAD A260 HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

Police officers o­n patrol in Canterbury Road, Hawkinge in relation to the designated dispersal area. Police noticed a number of youths, approx 10-15 in number under the bus shelter outside Tesco's store. Police officers stopped and spoke to the youths and asked who was waiting for a bus. None of the youths were waiting for the bus so they were informed of the dispersal area and asked to move o­n. o­ne of the youths stated that they were waiting for a friend's parents to pick them up and became abusive The youth in question was asked not to swear and was informed that it was an offence to do so, and warned that should they continue they would be arrested. The youth was then informed that they would be taken home to parents because they were in the dispersal area. The youth then became abusive and was arrested for the offence of section 5 public order.

<FONT color=navy>28/10/04
At 2155hrs 28/10/04
SECTION 5 WORDS / BEHAVIOUR - HARASSMENT ALARM DISTRESS
CANTERBURY ROAD A260 HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

Police o­n patrol in Canterbury Road, Hawkinge in relation to the designated dispersal area. Police stopped and spoke to a number of youths who were standing at the bus stop outside the Tesco store. o­ne of the youths was arrested for abusive language. During the arrest offender became abusive to a police officer, swearing at him, offender was warned if they continued they would be arrested. Offender did not heed the advice and continued to swear and was arrested

<FONT color=navy>30/10/04
Between 2330hrs 29/10/04 & 0430hrs 30/10/04
Burglary
PROCTOR WALK HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

The IP went to bed at around 2330hrs 29/10/04 and woke up around 0430 30/10/04 and went downstairs to make himself a cup of tea. In order not to disturb his son, the IP did not switch any lights o­n until he reached the kitchen. When he switched the light o­n he noticed a small box lying o­n the dining room floor. He knew no reason why that would be there so he started looking around the house. The doors of the wall unit in the living room were open and some CD's were missing. He then noticed that other belongings were missing around the house. Police have attended scene and the external garage door was slightly open and the internal door from the garage into the house wasn't closed properly. The IP is sure that he locked the outer garage door but there appears to be no sign of forced entry.

<FONT color=navy>30/10/04
Between 1900hrs 29/10/04 & 0130hrs 30/10/04
Theft of Motor Vehicle
CRICKETERS CLOSE HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

W591YKP PIAGGIO Moped colour blue & green

<FONT color=navy>31/10/04
Between 0100hrs & 0400hrs 31/10/04
Burglary Other
PANNELL DRIVE HAWKINGE, FOLKESTONE

The IP stated that the garage front up and over door was left unlocked and insecure. Offender(s) have made a selective and tidy search and taken.  

5 X BOTTLES OF GIN.

6 X BOTTLES OF WINE

2 BOTTLES OF CHAMPAGNE.

1 X BOTTLE OF OOZO

2 LARGE PACKETS OF BATTERIES.

Quantity of cereal bars

If you have any information in relation to any crime. Please contact the Watch Office o­n 01304 218151 or ring
Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 You do not have to give your name and you maybe eligible for a reward.

To Report suspicious incidents and problems you cannot resolve yourself 01303 850055

or

To report crime that has happened to you and the offenders have gone 01303 289134

If you would like to help with Neighbourhood Watch or would like to know more about what is involved, you can contact the Neighbourhood Watch & Parish Liaison Office at Dover Police Station o­n 01304 218151


Gridlock over A2 plans for Dover

Contributed by editor on Nov 03, 2004 - 04:13 PM


GRIDLOCK OVER A2 PLANS FOR DOVER

Duelling of the A2 into Dover is unlikely according the Highways Agency after Dover District Council and Dover Harbour Board put forward plans for the Agency to reconsider.

The HA said that the various points raised did not improve the viability of the scheme. This news follows recent speculation about the High Speed Trains and service patterns and connections to Dover and East Kent.

Cllr Nigel Collor, Cabinet Member for Access, said: "We will not let this matter sleep and will continue to drive the message home that we need proper infrastructure for the future. Dover deserves better than a second rate roads system and a third class rail network and we will continue to lobby for this."

Cllr Paul Watkins, Leader of Dover District Council, said: "Failure to address the dualling of the A2 will hit Dover both economically and environmentally. It is essential that there is a switch in traffic from the A20 to the A2 as an alternative route into Dover. Even a decision now would mean a wait of a number of years for completion of the project. If we have to wait for a decision at a later date, traffic will continue to build up and damage our environment and stifle our economy, and that is clearly unacceptable."


Pensioners could be in for a windfall

Contributed by editor on Nov 03, 2004 - 03:44 PM


PENSIONERS COULD BE IN FOR A WINDFALL

Pensioners in Shepway could be missing out o­n thousands of pounds of Council Tax benefit.

They are among 30,000 pensioners across the county entitled to £10 million in benefit - but who have not applied for the cash.

Shepway Council is working in partnership with local authorities across Kent to make applying for the cash easier and to help ensure that pensioners get the entitlements they deserve.

The partnership, known as the Kent Benefits Partnership (KBP) was launched earlier in the year and has a team of eight new recruits and a manager based in Maidstone. The team serves the whole county and so far it has paid out £400,000 to more than 500 pensioners. Successful applicants have received an average of £700.

The partnership has now launched a new phase of publicity to get more people to apply. Caron Watson, Shepway Council’s Benefits Manager, said: “It’s fantastic that we’ve paid out some £400,000 to Kent’s pensioners but we believe there are more people who could get help if they contacted us and apply for benefit. Some of the comments from people who contact us have been heartwarming, particularly when they thought they wouldn’t get anything. So I would urge pensioners to contact KBP.�

To find out more about eligibility for council tax benefit or for more information o­n the campaign contact the Kent Benefits Partnership by ringing 0845 345 0310 or writing to KBP Contact Centre, Invicta House, Maidstone ME14 1XX.


Safety Issues in Hawkinge

Contributed by ChrisAshman on Nov 03, 2004 - 02:07 PM


HAWKINGE COMMUNITY SAFETY FORUM - IT'S OUR VILLAGE KEEP IT SAFE

Letter to :
Cllr. David Callahan - Chairman Hawkinge Parish Council
Cllr. Peter Smith
Phillapa Janaway - KCC Road Safety Officer
The Rt. Hon. Michael Howard QC MP
Brian McAndrew, Chief Executive SDC
Robert Beck – Highways SDC
John Palmer – County Member

Cllr. Christena Smith
Cllr. Richard King KCC
Jan Doyle - Chair. – Hawkinge Neighbourhood Management Partnership

2nd August 2004

Throughout our regular safety forums there have been many requests from visitors to see consistent planning put into place for two areas of the expanded Hawkinge village. These areas are safety ‘black spots’ which we believe will get worse as the village develops.

It is not that responsible authorities have not tried to patch-up the problems but their failure to understand and respond to the overall picture. The Forum has asked me to write to you in the hope that you will use the influence and responsibilities of your office to help our village become a more harmonious and safe place to work and live.

Please excuse the descriptions if you are familiar with the area, but now look at the problem from an outsiders overall safety perspective.  Hawkinge sits astride the A260 main trunk road between Folkestone and Canterbury, it is also due to be split by a proposed bypass making it a 3 zone village. Around two thirds of the village being new development.

Through bad planning and deprivation the area has been granted millions of pounds by the government to improve services which will be managed by the Hawkinge Neighbourhood Management Partnership.  Safety in and around the village is the primary concern of the HCSF and we want rectification to existing problems followed up by future consideration for the safety of our residents.

The present centre of the village and shops are o­n the A260 with insufficient parking for villagers and through traffic. The village school is directly opposite the shops and existing parking. In between, the placement of 2 bus stops (opposite to each other) and main pedestrian crossing point sit. In amongst the parking area are access points for service to the shops, which enable delivery vehicles to straddle 2 public footpaths causing concern and danger to pedestrians.

Last year a child was knocked down and trapped under a reversing delivery vehicle. Several villagers have reported near misses whilst using the lower footpath.

During school term, parents delivering and collecting their youngsters add to the chaos. They park wherever they can, including bus stops, pavements and a side road which accesses the A260 at the same point, opposite the entrance to the Village Hall in which they also park, at times clashing with hirers of the Village Hall. Just add to the mix an arriving bus, a delivery to the Tesco store and envisage the misery of our village and the users of the A260 o­n their journey to and from work.

The new centre development of the village is eventually going to be built o­n the so named Employment Land o­n the opposite side of the proposed bypass with an entrance o­nto a small roundabout shared by a Nursery School entrance and adjacent to the Churchill Primary School and road crossing point. This area is claimed to be traffic calmed but o­nly limited to 30mph, which can be and often is exceeded by even commercial vehicles. 

The forum is concerned about the future of this area and the accidents just waiting to happen. This road (Haven Drive) has now become a main thoroughfare, rat-run or shortcut, for residents and outsiders due to congestion in Aerodrome Rd. and o­n the A260 in the old village centre. A narrow single lane (Gibraltar Lane) is also used in the same way increasing the danger to walkers and horse riders. Some of our village school children have to negotiate a main trunk road and a roundabout at he end of half a bypass, to attend school.

It appears that road congestion and danger to our Nursery and Primary school children has become bottom of the priorities during development planning of our village.

In an o­ngoing local poll 97% of residents call for a 20mph zone for all residential roads. The Forum understand the overall costs of this may need to be in future authority budgets but we call for immediate action now between Aerodrome Road and Spitfire Way before the new school term.

The Forum would also like to see the overall future plans for the development in the existing village centre and cure of the traffic/parking problems. If these exist and are available, please let us know by return. We would like to discuss them at a future meeting.  If they don’t exist, we requests that an appointed forum member is included in future planning meetings o­n behalf of the safety of the villagers. 

If you would like to visit the ‘black spots’ outside of or during the school term o­ne of our committee will be happy to show you around.

Hawkinge Community Safety Forum


NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH OPEN EVENING

Contributed by ChrisAshman on Nov 03, 2004 - 01:51 PM

<P align=center>NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH OPEN EVENING

Tuesday 9th November at 8pm

St Lukes Church Hall, Canterbury Road. Hawkinge.

There will be a number of speakers and an open forum

All Hawkinge residents are welcome to attend