Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a house fire in Harden Road, Lydd, in Romney Marsh on Saturday evening 27 February.
Three fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to extinguish a fire in an upstairs bedroom, before using a high pressured fan to clear the home of smoke.
- Suspected dealer confronted by sniffer dog ‘Dougal’ as he stepped off train in Chatham
- Communities urged to come together for War Graves Week in Hawkinge and Shorncliffe cemeteries
- Boy hospitalised after ‘stabbing’ in Claremont Street, Herne Bay
One woman was given oxygen at the scene, as a precaution for smoke inhalation.
She was then passed into the care of paramedics. It’s believed the fire started accidentally when an electric blanket caught alight.
Following the incident, crews are reminding people to follow these simple safety tips when using an electric blanket:
– Have the blanket checked on a regular basis and look out for any scorch marks or fraying
– Always follow the manufacturers’ instructions and never sleep with an electric blanket switched on, unless it has a safety thermostat control and is designed for sleeping
– It’s best not use a blanket that is more than 10 years old
– Check the wiring and leads regularly for damage – Switch off electric blankets before going to sleep, or if you’re going out