Four fire engines and a height vehicle were sent a home in St. Andrews Close, Whitstable after reports of a blaze.

When the first Kent Fire and Rescue crews arrived they found smoke coming from the property and discovered a fire on the first floor hallway of the flat. They used hose reel jets to put out the blaze.

Two people had already been rescued by ladder before crews arrived but one of them had suffered a leg injury climbing down.

Firefighters initially supported with medical treatment and welfare until care was handed over to SECAmb paramedics.

The owner’s dog, which was still inside, was rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

There were no other reported injuries. The fire is believed to be accidental and is thought to have started due to a faulty battery charger.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites