A blaze broke out in a block of flats in Wood Street, Gillingham, on Saturday night (19 August), after an e-scooter reportedly caught fire in the lobby area.

The fire was reported at 20:23, and Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) sent three fire engines and a height vehicle to the scene.

The firefighters managed to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to the upper floors of the two-storey building.

No one was injured in the incident, but some residents were evacuated from their flats as a precaution.

KFRS’ volunteer response team also attended to support the affected residents and provide them with alternative accommodation.

Kent Police, SECAmb and UK Power Networks were also at the scene to assist with the incident and ensure the safety of the public.

The cause of the fire is believed to be linked to an e-scooter that was left in the lobby area of the block.

Some of the key messages on fire safety from the National Fire Chiefs Council or the local fire and rescue service when using e-scooters are as follows:

  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when charging and always unplug your charger when it’s finished charging.
  • Do not charge batteries or store your e-bike or e-scooter near combustible or flammable materials.
  • Avoid storing or charging e-bikes and e-scooters on escape routes or in communal areas of a multi occupied building.
  • In the event of an e-bike, e-scooter or lithium-ion battery fire – do not attempt to extinguish the fire. Get out, stay out, call 999.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites